*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > pitch day bubbles then nothing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 09:23 PM   #1
BrewMonster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default pitch day bubbles then nothing

So I pitched my yeast, Belgian andenes. Yeast and wort were about 65 degrees and within 3 hours the airlock is going crazy. Same time the next day its near dead. It was at about 72 degrees, its a Belgian stout, and then just dropped. It's now at 65 and not moving, even with a coat on. Thereafter no way this thing is finished. I just pitched it Sunday night. What do I do?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 11:52 PM   #2
seckert
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 16

funny that you posted this as i am on here looking for an answer to the same exact thing! i pitched late evening yesterday. woke up this morning and it was going crazy and up into the airlock. I put the blow off tube on and went to work. Came home to find that everything is all silent and krausin had fallen back down. i put airlock all back on and i havent seen or heard anything since. i have heard that fermentation can still happen when there are no bubbles in the airlock, yet i have never experienced it. hopefully someone has an answer for both of us!

Old 01-22-2013, 11:58 PM   #3
jmh286
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 7

What kind of yeast did you use? Did you check the recommended temperature range for said yeast? Do you have hydrometer readings? That is really the only way to know if it's finished.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:19 AM   #4
WildGingerBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1928 Times on 1902 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Airlock bubbles are NOT a sign of fermentation. I repeat, airlock bubbles are NOT a sign of fermentation. The only way to know if fermentation is complete is by taking a hydrometer or refractometer reading. Leave it alone for a couple of weeks. It will be fine.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:24 PM   #5
seckert
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildGingerBrewing View Post
Airlock bubbles are NOT a sign of fermentation. I repeat, airlock bubbles are NOT a sign of fermentation. The only way to know if fermentation is complete is by taking a hydrometer or refractometer reading. Leave it alone for a couple of weeks. It will be fine.
oh i know that is the case and this is exactly what i am doing. Its just weird as i have never had this happen before. heard stories, but never have experienced it.

Quick Reply