The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Pics of Yeast under my new scope

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2012, 03:34 PM   #81
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Yes.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 01:42 AM   #82
robh245
Recipes 

I got my microscope a couple days ago and have been geeking out and having a ball doing it. Very cool to see my yeasties up close.

Can anyone suggest a good reference online or book for identifying different types of yeast cultures from each other and from bacteria? I have the Yeast book from Jamil and White but would like something a little more in depth. Thanks for any suggestions!

I took these pics of wild Reinart ale and a wild Avery beer with my phone camera lens held to the eye piece. It's a work in progress

forumrunner_20120124_213946.jpg   forumrunner_20120124_214035.jpg  

Old 01-25-2012, 02:03 AM   #83
PoppinCaps
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Bacteria is easy, you can really only see them at 400x, they're super tiny compared to the yeast and dancing around. Hard to distinguish from small particles with Brownian motion, but it's obvious when there's an infection. Identifying different yeast is a tough one if you're only talking Saccharomyces, as they're roughly identical in looks, colony formation and color, etc. If you're talking wild yeast captured, some yeast will have hyphae (like mushroom "roots"), spores, crazy colors, etc. Then you could use an agar plate to distinguish soft white colonies from the crazy ones. Sorry, I don't have a good suggestion for reading material, but any fungal text is a good start.

Nice work with the camera phone!

Old 01-25-2012, 02:42 AM   #84
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2965 Times on 1880 Posts
Likes Given: 2512

Damn robh you took those pics with your phone? That's incredible.

I have the same desire as you, identifying yeast and bacteria. There's some good blogs out there with info. I'm on the road now (San Francisco) I'll post links when I get back.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:41 PM   #85
robh245
Recipes 

Thanks for the info PoppinCaps. I'll check and see if my local library has any good fungal texts.

Passedpawn - I was pleasantly surprised at the quality too! I definitely have room for improvement, but I'm happy with that clarity considering how easy it was to do. I have an Android Evo with an 8 megapixel camera. The autofocus helps a lot. Please do send any links or references that you think might be helpful. The info you and others have provided on this forum have been a great help already! Thanks.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:47 PM   #86
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Here's a couple new pics I snapped today at school. They looked much better on the comp that snaps the photos but I guess the data transfer or the program I'm using to modify and crop do something to the quality. Also I'd like to note I don't know how accurate the scale is, but it can be used for size reference. I took all these pictures at the same magnification.

One pic is a wild yeast colony I pulled off a Lins Cupric Sulfate Medium. I think there where 3 total decent sized colonies. One separate and two colonies that merged together to equal about the size of the single. I have images of WLP510 that I am in the process of growing up from frozen stock as of yesterday.

Here's the yeast that grew on the LCSM.

Here's WLP510 for reference. You can see a nice tiny bud in the second picture.

Then here's some of what I suspect to be brett. It was isolated and grown from a unknown culture on WLD medium.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:58 PM   #87
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Those pics are awesome. I'm finding that a microscope is a very important part of my brewery, not just another toy to play with.

I'm brewing a big Stout on Saturday and made a starter for it this past Tuesday. Looking for 765 Billion cells so I put 3 vials (WLP001) in a 4L starter. It was finished this morning so I did a cell count. Only 394 Billion cells! My microscope has officially saved it's first beer. I can easily supplement with some dry yeast now to get the correct pitching rate. Before the microscope, the only tool available to me was Jamil's calculator which it seems doesn't by itself insure the correct cell count.

Next: Oktoberfest v5
Fermenting: Conan DIPA, 1830's English Mild @ Earth - Bread + Brewery, Dopplebock, Cider, Rye Berliner Weisse, Barrel Fermented Dreg Lambic, Brett Trois Helles, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Carrot Blossom Cedar Mead
Drinking: Tropicale Thunder v2, Lambic, Brett Trois IPA, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS v1 & v2, Barleywine
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel

Old 03-15-2012, 03:02 PM   #88
jmf143
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstar26t View Post
Those pics are awesome. I'm finding that a microscope is a very important part of my brewery, not just another toy to play with.

I'm brewing a big Stout on Saturday and made a starter for it this past Tuesday. Looking for 765 Billion cells so I put 3 vials (WLP001) in a 4L starter. It was finished this morning so I did a cell count. Only 394 Billion cells! My microscope has officially saved it's first beer. I can easily supplement with some dry yeast now to get the correct pitching rate. Before the microscope, the only tool available to me was Jamil's calculator which it seems doesn't by itself insure the correct cell count.
How old were the vials? There's around 100B cells in a vial, so either your's weren't very viable or you had very little growth. How much DME did you add to the 4L?

Old 03-15-2012, 03:16 PM   #89
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2965 Times on 1880 Posts
Likes Given: 2512

I use mine on every starter. 1 drop of starter and a couple of minutes of counting.

I've played some more with video, but I haven't captured budding yeast yet. Once I do that, I'll time-lapse it and post here.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:21 PM   #90
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Vials dated 7/11/12 and kept cold at homebrew shop. I drove the vials home from the shop in a cooler with ice. Let them warm to room temp before pitching. 3810 grams water and 381 grams DME on stir plate for 36 hours at 66ºF. Treated the water with K2S2O5 at the recommended rate (.44g/20gal) and used the recommended amount of Wyeast Yeast Nutrient (2.2g/5gal).
I'm at a loss as to why they didn't multiply more, glad I checked though!

Next: Oktoberfest v5
Fermenting: Conan DIPA, 1830's English Mild @ Earth - Bread + Brewery, Dopplebock, Cider, Rye Berliner Weisse, Barrel Fermented Dreg Lambic, Brett Trois Helles, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Carrot Blossom Cedar Mead
Drinking: Tropicale Thunder v2, Lambic, Brett Trois IPA, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS v1 & v2, Barleywine
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel

Quick Reply