Pics of Yeast under my new microscope

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found this thread after some research on the subject, just about to order my hemocytometer and possibly some methylene violet if this vintage Sears 1200X microscope I found in my closet pans out. I'm skeptical about what my results will be just have to wait for the stain and polyurethane to dry (I made my new casing for the LED out of wood haha).

Old light was broken so quick trip to RadioShack and I now have a 9V system running a 10mm 3.5V 20mA LED which I'm assuming is bright enough.

But I loved reading every single post on this thread so helpful.

Aw man, I hate to continue to rain on your parade here, but it's also going to be VERY difficult to see stuff at high magnifications without fine X/Y controls on the stage, and it doesn't look like that scope has that. At 400x, which is good for cell counting, it's going to be quite frustrating moving the hemocytometer around with your fingers.

Good luck, and please let us know how it turns out. I suspect you're going to be scanning ebay for used scopes though :)

That LED you have there is a point source with a lens on it that does exactly the opposite of what you want - it disperses the light instead of condensing it. I don't think that LED is going to work very well. It might at very low magnification, but at higher levels you really need condenser optics below the stage.

Well this kinda shows the quality of the old microscope.. it never had a condenser in the first place, it solely had a point light source with a mirror on the other side prior.. which was broken. And you're not raining on my parade just pointing out helpful tidbits 😃

But that 10° LED is miles better than the tiny old incandescent bulb that was there on a swivel.. I definitely agree that it's a crapshoot whether or not ill have any success but for 8$ in parts I had to try before I spend 200$ on a scope I've been eyeing on eBay 🍻

Thanks for being so informative though, I actually feel comfortable scanning the web looking for a better setup!

Agreed, go score a used teaching scope for cheap on ebay.

I'm thinking that is my second best option, I'm opting to get a midrange hemacytometer with bright line as I know the quality of scope I have is piss poor..

I actually read through your home lab setup thread and probably will go the eBay route but I had to try for free first. Other option since I'm a Chemistry Masters (soon to be PhD) student and I can make friends with some professors and maybe they have some old stock lying around at UB.. but again another crapshoot, I'm just budgeting as I really need a pump for whirpooling in my new kettle

heres some photos of my WLP-001 yeast cells using my 6-year old son's $80 microscope and an iPhone.

DSC09322.JPG

I'll be damned GO BULLS 🐂 working on my chemistry masters already got my chemistry and psychology bachelor's (long story ha)

Hostchetter and Cooke hall... man I spent alot of time there. Buffalo was an amazing town to attend college..... I'd kill myself if I lived there tho.

The problem with miscoscopes is that while a very low end model might get you in the game of cell counts (and make a significant positive impact on your brewing)..... you'll eventually become more inquisitive about small things and want better optics or you can't play.

The problem with miscoscopes is that while a very low end model might get you in the game of cell counts (and make a significant positive impact on your brewing)..... you'll eventually become more inquisitive about small things and want better optics or you can't play.

Just another M$%^& F%^& way to spend money on the endless spiral down the diminishing returns of a useless hobby obsession.

- OR -

A great way to invest in a meaningful and fulfilling biological experiment, bringing us a bit closer to the answer to life's ultimate questions, and a general understanding of where we fit in this biosphere.

Depends on whether your'e asking my wife, or me.

Hostchetter and Cooke hall... man I spent alot of time there. Buffalo was an amazing town to attend college..... I'd kill myself if I lived there tho.

Oh those building are practically abandoned at this point in the game, only people left are professors who can get a room at a crowded time and biology labs. Those poor people...

Agreed on the last point 👌 we will see how living in a single apartment goes this year hahah

Just another M$%^& F%^& way to spend money on the endless spiral down the diminishing returns of a useless hobby obsession.

- OR -

A great way to invest in a meaningful and fulfilling biological experiment, bringing us a bit closer to the answer to life's ultimate questions, and a general understanding of where we fit in this biosphere.

Depends on whether your'e asking my wife, or me.

I told my girlfriend about this expensive journey I may take and she was not having it at all... I may borrow your words ;)

Just bought a used scope and a hemocytometer for doing yeast counts and viability measurements. Man is this cool. (eek, I think I see a bacterium... yet another thing to worry about!) What would be a good (fairly cheap if possible) microscope to view yeast and bacteria? And what's your thoughts in digital vs optical?

I still have to get some stains to spot the dead ones. I can see the cells easily under 400x. I took this pic with a camera pressed up to the eyepiece. Looks much better with the eyes. I don't know why the lines of the hemocytometer don't show up in the pic... they are plain as day when viewed directly.

These cells are from some very dirty BoPils yeast cake, diluted 10:1. Wyeast 2001.

IMG_4674.JPG

2011-10-08_at_16_11_22.jpg

Awesome scope. Color me jealous! SWMBO has told me to throw together a yeast lab wishlist for Christmas, but I'm not sure if I can talk her into a scope that nice. Maybe if I pitch it as a homeschooling investment for our 18month old...
Good angle. "But it's for the child(ren)!"

Back