The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Pics of Yeast under my new scope

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2011, 02:01 AM   #11
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2958 Times on 1876 Posts
Likes Given: 2501

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
That's awesome! I'm jealous. You geek!
I'm having fun with this thing.

Turns out there is a Hemocytometer Counter app for the iPhone. Crazy. It's only $2, but I'll probably skip it since the math is simple. Still, pretty nifty for you app-crazed iPhone users. Just replace "red cells" with 'yeast cells".

[edit] turns out I was screwing up the math repeatedly. Maybe I'll get the app afterall

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2011, 02:17 AM   #12
wegz15
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

What kind of scope is that? My dad used to work for leica and I think he had two scopes. Not sure if they go to 400x.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:18 AM   #13
zeno27
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn

The coverslip goes on first, then use pipette to drop sample just outside the slip, and the sample capillaries into the 0.1mm channel between the cover slip and the grid.
Bingo. Doing it that way makes me more confident that I'm looking at a 100 micron gap.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:08 AM   #14
kcpup
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Ok, I'm not a microbiologist or anything, but that is seriously cool. What exactly would I need to do that type of yeast cell count stuff?

I need a microscope that goes to what magnification?
What else exactly? If there is a place where I can research the needs list, I'm happy to do the work. Does Jamil's new book have the supply list? I'm out of town and the book is back home...

Thank you for sharing your setup. It's inspiring!

Old 10-09-2011, 04:11 AM   #15
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wegz15 View Post
What kind of scope is that? My dad used to work for leica and I think he had two scopes. Not sure if they go to 400x.
Olympus

Old 10-09-2011, 04:16 AM   #16
PoppinCaps
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've got a cheap child's microscope that works fine to count cells on the cytometer at 100x (10x objective with 10x eyepiece). You can't make out any bacteria or do viability staining, but the counting is quite visible. The hardcore stuff is what the scope in the lab is for.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:17 AM   #17
kcpup
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppinCaps
I've got a cheap child's microscope that works fine to count cells on the cytometer at 100x (10x objective with 10x eyepiece). You can't make out any bacteria or do viability staining, but the counting is quite visible. The hardcore stuff is what the scope in the lab is for.
That's encouraging. Maybe I could do this...

Old 10-09-2011, 04:23 AM   #18
PoppinCaps
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You could easily do it for under the price of a brew. There are tons of online science shops that will have everything, including a POS scope, hemocytometer (they can come cheap too), agar, petri dishes, pipettes, etc for keeping strains, the sky's the limit. At the very least, you'll finally know how many cells you're pitching.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:26 AM   #19
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcpup View Post
Ok, I'm not a microbiologist or anything, but that is seriously cool. What exactly would I need to do that type of yeast cell count stuff?

I need a microscope that goes to what magnification?
What else exactly? If there is a place where I can research the needs list, I'm happy to do the work. Does Jamil's new book have the supply list? I'm out of town and the book is back home...

Thank you for sharing your setup. It's inspiring!
Microscope: I think 400x is the right magnification for counting. Note that the magnification is a product of the objective lens (i.e, 40x) and the eyepiece lens (10x). The objectives are the 4 silver parts on the rotatable turret in the pic. They are removable - you can add even higher magnification. There's lots to say about scopes. You can get decent cheap ones from amscope and others, but the general wisdom is get Leica, Nikon, Olympus, or Zeiss and you won't regret it later. Ebay has some decent deals. Expect this to be some painful coinage. Trinoculars are very cool and make it easy to take pics, but those heads can add some signficant cost to the scope. I wouldn't get a monocular, but if you are looking for the lowest cost scope that would be it. Also, you'll want one with an X/Y stage that allows you to easily move the counter around without fat-fisting it.

Hemocytometer: If you buy one that looks like mine, or says improved Neubaur, you're good. Available under $30 on ebay.

Stain: To determine whether the cells are actually alive or not, you'll need a stain like methylene blue or Trypan blue. Living cells can reject the stain from passing through the cell wall, but dead ones can't and turn blue when the stain is added. Look around ebay, amazon, and www.cynmar.com. I haven't done this yet, but I'll probably go with a stain kit of several different stains.

Thats about it. Go ahead and research the thing to death, that's my way too.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:27 AM   #20
kcpup
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppinCaps View Post
You could easily do it for under the price of a brew. There are tons of online science shops that will have everything, including a POS scope, hemocytometer (they can come cheap too), agar, petri dishes, pipettes, etc for keeping strains, the sky's the limit. At the very least, you'll finally know how many cells you're pitching.
PoppinCaps - thanks for that list and advice. Perhaps Santa will bring me this...better make sure I'm on the nice list.

Quick Reply