Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Pickle smelling washed yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2012, 08:43 PM   #1
EllisTX
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Pickle smelling washed yeast

Well.... I washed kolsch yeast and stored in a pickle jar because all of my mason jars were in use. Poor planning on my part. I washed the hell out of the jar and it had no pickle smell when I washed it. Of course I didn't give thought to the lid. Gave it a good cleaning but didn't smell it.

I just got a starter going with it and the yeast has a pickle smell to it. My starter wort was all boiled and ready to go so I went ahead with it.

What are the odds that the pickle smell will scrub out during the fermentation process? Is the starter small enough to not have an effect in 5 gallons of beer? This starter will actually be built up for a 10 gallon batch.

I don't want the nose to smell like this!!

20110721-161929-vegetarian-option-burger-joint-beer-pickle.jpg  

"La La La Lo Lo Lo Luuuke, Luuuke, I am your father, Lo Lo Lo Lu Lu Lu"- Chris Farley

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2012, 02:23 PM   #2
EllisTX
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Looks like this isn't a common problem. Most are probably smart enough to throw it out.

My starter is going strong today and there really isn't any real detectable pickle odor coming off of it. Maybe just a hint of dill but it pretty much smells like kolsch yeast. I'm going to go ahead with it. I'll certainly post in a few months when the final product is ready if I made a misake.

Cheers!

"La La La Lo Lo Lo Luuuke, Luuuke, I am your father, Lo Lo Lo Lu Lu Lu"- Chris Farley

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply