Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > peculiar looking sediment question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 02:32 AM   #1
Benedetto
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default peculiar looking sediment question

I'm making a clone of the Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA (recipe from the guy's book) and I used Ringwood 1187 yeast. This is the first time I needed to make a yeast starter. I got it sitting with the dry hops in secondary right now and I'm seeing something I've never seen before. The layer of sediment on the bottom of the carboy is about 3x taller than usual, and two distinctly different colors. The bottom layer is dark and looks completely typical. The top layer is much lighter and twice as large as the bottom layer.

Any ideas what's going on? I'm hoping it's just surplus healthy yeast from the starter I made.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 02:38 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2712 Times on 1630 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Fermentation is ugly, and stinky and strange looking even when it is "normal." Unless there is an actual pellicule growing on top of your beer...not, yeast, or mold or an oil slick or anything else besides a thick skin on top, then there's nothing wrong with our fermentations. It doesn't matter how your trub looks, it doesn't matter what your krausen looks like for that matter, everything is fine.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-05-2012, 02:58 AM   #3
mtandy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedetto
I'm making a clone of the Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA (recipe from the guy's book) and I used Ringwood 1187 yeast. This is the first time I needed to make a yeast starter. I got it sitting with the dry hops in secondary right now and I'm seeing something I've never seen before. The layer of sediment on the bottom of the carboy is about 3x taller than usual, and two distinctly different colors. The bottom layer is dark and looks completely typical. The top layer is much lighter and twice as large as the bottom layer.

Any ideas what's going on? I'm hoping it's just surplus healthy yeast from the starter I made.
Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew. :-)

Quick Reply