Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Peanut off flavor..why??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2013, 12:59 AM   #1
BrewmeisterSmith
Thirsty Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Peanut off flavor..why??

I made an IPA for a homebrew competition a while back. The brewery gives you the wort, you take it home and make it what you will. It had a peanut finish. I Just made a two hearted clone and it has the same after taste. Out of my 6 years of brewing this has only happened the two times. What can it be? I know it's nothing to do with the grain bill. I made it before and it tasted great. I do a rigorous boil, so I cant imagine diacetyl. Its not buttery or butterscotchy....I've tried one of those before. This is different. The first batch I mentioned was Safale-05 the second was Nottingham. Same off flavor. I cant figure it out. All my research on the internet has show that others have had similar experiences, but nobody knows what it is. I thought it might have been the yeast, but two different yeasts having the same off flavor? This is weird and pissing me off. If anyone can assist with this, I'd be in your debt. Thanks!

"I enjoy a pint of beer each night for its health benefits. The other pints are for my witty comebacks and flawless dance moves." -unknown

Primary: Strawberry Schwarzcake, El Hefe, Pulque, Apple Pie Hard Cider
Kegged: Simcoe IPA, RyePA, Harvest Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2013, 01:21 AM   #2
Billy-Klubb
Capt. Floccin' Awesome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2332 Times on 1531 Posts
Likes Given: 4700

wait... are you Billy Carter?

There is a difference between pride and arrogance. Which do you hold in your heart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andycr View Post
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing...

Old 12-04-2013, 01:28 AM   #3
BrewmeisterSmith
Thirsty Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

?

"I enjoy a pint of beer each night for its health benefits. The other pints are for my witty comebacks and flawless dance moves." -unknown

Old 12-04-2013, 01:29 AM   #4
BrewmeisterSmith
Thirsty Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Looking at the BJCP flashcards, Diacetyl can be described as nutty. This is my best guess. Maybe it was under pitching of yeast. Typically, I just use one packet of dry yeast and don't have a problem with most. I have 9 kegs on tap right now and none have this issue. Just the one. Same practice with each.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:50 AM   #5
feinbera
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Well, if you figure it out, lemme know... I've had this same flavor, to the point where one batch was ruined, it's an annoying undertone in others.

I was kinda speculating that it might've been oxidation; these batches were all transferred to secondary. Although, at least the most recent batch didn't seem to have a huge amount of yeast slurry at the end upon transfer, so, maybe as you suspect, it wasn't enough yeast?

Old 12-04-2013, 12:25 PM   #6
pm5k00
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewmeisterSmith View Post
Looking at the BJCP flashcards, Diacetyl can be described as nutty. This is my best guess. Maybe it was under pitching of yeast. Typically, I just use one packet of dry yeast and don't have a problem with most. I have 9 kegs on tap right now and none have this issue. Just the one. Same practice with each.
So more info on fermentation. .. we know no starter and what yeast. How old was the yeast? Rehydrared or sprinkle? What temp for pitch and ferm? OG and FG?

Old 12-05-2013, 07:32 PM   #7
BrewmeisterSmith
Thirsty Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm5k00 View Post
So more info on fermentation. .. we know no starter and what yeast. How old was the yeast? Rehydrared or sprinkle? What temp for pitch and ferm? OG and FG?
Not sure the age of the yeast our LHBS keeps pretty fresh ingredients. Assume well before the expiration date, properly stored etc. I've developed a few theories....

1) Temp of wort may have been too warm when pitching yeast
2) Autolysis? someone mentioned that it could be this, but I know what off flavors it creates.
3) I doubt oxydation.

It's driving me crazy. I wonder if there is a way to get rid of the flavor. Maybe through clarify ferm, gelatain, filter, etc? Not sure if there actually is a way to correct it at this point. I may try clarify ferm in the keg.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:23 AM   #8
hou_me
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy-Klubb View Post
wait... are you Billy Carter?
HaHaHaHa!! Billy beer! I'm too young to know if it tasted like peanuts though. Guess it might if he made it on the farm though

Old 01-05-2014, 09:33 PM   #9
BrewmeisterSmith
Thirsty Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Update. My Beer is nice and clear now. But it still has that peanut flavor. More like dry roasted. I really cant believe there is not a lot of information on the internet about this issue. Seems a lot of folks have had similar problems, but nobody knows the cause.

The first batch this happened to is long gone. However, I bottled an extra two beers from the keg when it had this issue. I tried one out on NYE. No nutty taste at all. So, I'm wondering if I take the keg out of the keggerator and leave it at room temp for a week or two to see if the profile changes.

Quick Reply