Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Paint Mixer Style Aeration

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2013, 10:28 PM   #1
TAK
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Paint Mixer Style Aeration

Just curious, is it possible to damage yeast physically if you use paint mixer style aeration after pitching the yeast?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2013, 10:50 PM   #2
wyoast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAK View Post
Just curious, is it possible to damage yeast physically if you use paint mixer style aeration after pitching the yeast?
I'm no expert but I have been using the same type of thing for aeration in my brews for quite awhile now and it has worked great for me, only difference is that I aerate for 5 mins or so THEN pitch my yeast and airlock up. Hope this helps

Old 04-12-2013, 01:36 AM   #3
hoppedupbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Maybe, but probably not to an extent you'd notice. Aerate before you pitch if you're concerned about it.

Lupulin crazed abandon!
http://hoppedupbrewer.com/ | Follow me on Twitter: @hoppedupbrewer

Old 04-12-2013, 01:37 AM   #4
highgravitybacon
Recipes 

Liked 202 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAK View Post
I suppose in theory, yes. I imagine that it's probably not ideal but not horribly detrimental.

I found one pdf of a study from I think the 1940s that found mechanical agitation killed bacteria, but not much yeast. They did agitation for several hours. Yeast are powerful.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:40 AM   #5
TAK
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Cool. I was using an actual paint mixer for bucket fermentation. Now I'm starting to move to glass carboys, so I bought one of those mixers that folds up to fit into the carboy and attaches to a drill just the same. When I was using buckets, I always aerated and then pitched the yeast afterwards, while it was still swirling to mix it up. In the carboy, the yeast inevitably doesn't all go straight in but some kinda runs down the inside of the carboy. Not a big deal, but I hate seeing some of it just sit there and dry to the carboy. I figure mixing afterwards helps pick some of that back up. But those mixers are so violent, I wonder if you can actually burst some of the yeast cells.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:59 PM   #6
beersk
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 62 Posts

I've thought of this too as I've pitched then aerated with my mix stir. But I think it's probably not a bad thing and won't harm the yeast. But like another person said, if you're worried about it, just pitch after you aerate.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:35 AM   #7
biestie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Highly doubt it, since I don't think on the cellular level it's much different than a stir plate. But for the cost of a batch or two of homebrew you can add enough oxygen to your wort (paint mixers can't) with a pure O2 setup.

Quick Reply