Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Pacman Starter Issue?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2012, 03:30 PM   #1
Dog House Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Pacman Starter Issue?

I've made a Pacman starter from a packet of older yeast (June 11). It took a while to get going on the stirplate, but all was normal. I went to step it up since it is for a 12.5 gallon batch of APA. When I decanted it before adding more DME, it smelled really strong, like vomit. It had sat on the stirplate
(12 hr) to clear over night. No big bubbles or off looking infection stuff. Yeast settlement looked clean. Since I had already boiled the DME, I added it and put it back on the stir plate. It took off immediately and I just checked it. No sour smell, no anything. Sprayed the rim with starsan, decanted, and tasted a small bit. Tasted clean, no foul taste at all. I thought for sure something was wrong with it. Guess I'm OK? Brewing on the 4th and thought I'd pop it in the fridge if everyone thinks it's OK. Any of you experienced this smell on your starters? Would you go ahead and pitch it? Made many starters and have never smelled one that strong. Thanks

Are You Going to Drink all That?

Reason: Spelling

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #2
Brulosopher
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 200 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Yeast can have some very interesting smells. I wouldn't worry too much of the starter beer tasted clean. Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply