Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > pacman fermentation tempurature

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2010, 07:06 AM   #1
chemman14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Default pacman fermentation tempurature

I was curious what temperature people ferment pacman at? I have heard that it should be in the low 60's like 63-64. The recipe I am brewing calls for wyeast american ale or white labs california and a fermentation temperature of 68

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2010, 05:34 PM   #2
chemman14
Recipes 

the recipie is a 1.115 OG barley wine btw

Old 01-29-2010, 05:37 PM   #3
MBasile
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

60˚ is typically what I do for Pacman, and even at that low of a temp my pale ale came out super clear super fast. You might want to try contacting Rogue and see if they can offer any advice since they have so much experience with the yeast though.

Are you using the wyeast pack or stuff taken from Rogue bottles?

Up next: beer
Fermenting: beer
Conditioning: and more beer

Total gallons in 2012: 10

Old 01-29-2010, 05:38 PM   #4
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 453 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I think you'll do all right as long as you're somewhere in the 60's, but Pacman really does well on the low end. For a big barley wine though... you might want all the help you can get making sure it keeps going and doesn't stall out.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 01-29-2010, 06:03 PM   #5
MBasile
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

So I did some research and Rogue does have a barley wine (Old Crustacean). I'd suggest emailing them and asking if they ferment that a little warmer than the other beers. If you ask the exact temperatures they'll be a little off because the tanks commercial breweries use can ferment at higher temps without the yeast off-flavors. So just ask if they ferment the barley wine higher than Dead Guy Ale, if they say yes, 60˚ is your DGA mark and move up from there.

Up next: beer
Fermenting: beer
Conditioning: and more beer

Total gallons in 2012: 10

Old 01-29-2010, 06:22 PM   #6
chemman14
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBasile View Post
So I did some research and Rogue does have a barley wine (Old Crustacean). I'd suggest emailing them and asking if they ferment that a little warmer than the other beers. If you ask the exact temperatures they'll be a little off because the tanks commercial breweries use can ferment at higher temps without the yeast off-flavors. So just ask if they ferment the barley wine higher than Dead Guy Ale, if they say yes, 60˚ is your DGA mark and move up from there.
I just shot off an email to them. Hopefully I will get a response before Sunday as that is the brew day. I will report back here with their response when I receive it

Old 01-29-2010, 07:56 PM   #7
jlpred55
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am about 90% sure John Maier from Rogue does most of his regular ales with Pacman at 60. Not sure on the barleywine though. I found the anywhere in the mid to low 60's is fine. I got the exact same results. It is a very clean yeast. Exceptional really.

Kegged: Millenium Galaxy IPA, German Pilsner. Apricot Blonde Ale, ACE Witbier, ACE American Wheat.
Bottled: Smoked Red Rye, Old Tanglefoot Barleywine, Tripel, Dubbel, American Farmhouse Ale

Old 01-29-2010, 08:37 PM   #8
chemman14
Recipes 

well it looks like I will be brewing with white labs cal ale yeast as my LHBS was out of pacman AND 1056 american ale. Oh well, I will use some pacman yeast on my first all grain beer

Old 01-29-2010, 08:57 PM   #9
FunkytownBrewyard
Stan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

i was sure i remember reading that for pacman, yes, low 60s is what they typically do use it at, but it was actually just as good up to 70. obviously imparting a different finish to the brew, though. will edit if i find the info i am referencing.

...found it:

Quote:
“Pacman is really great yeast; everything about it is good. Pacman attenuates well, is alcohol tolerant, and it produces beers with no diacetyl if the beer is well made. It’s very flocculent, which makes it a great choice for bottle conditioning. I ferment almost all my beers at 60° F; once in a while for certain styles I’ll ferment as high as 70° F, but never higher. Use lots of oxygen, and a high pitch rate. I never repitch past the 6th generation, and I always use Wyeast Yeast Nutrient.” - John Maier, Brewmaster, Rogue Ales www.rogue.com

Last edited by FunkytownBrewyard; 01-29-2010 at 08:58 PM. Reason: *found it*

Old 01-29-2010, 09:15 PM   #10
chemman14
Recipes 

Looks like I'll be using pacman after all. My Lhbs just called me and said they jus got their yeast shipment in. Hopefully I get an email back from rogue or some advice from someone that has used this yeast with a high og

Quick Reply