Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Pacman

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 04:42 PM   #11
H22W
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyM
Anyone try this yeast in a cider?
Yes! I recently discovered how well Pacman works for cider. This season I have done 4 back to back gallons of cider with Pacman in my fridge.

I put a bit of Pacman in a gallon jug of cider in my fridge just to see what would happen. About a week later noticed the cider was actually carbing-up! It is a very slow fermentation that continues until the cider looses most of its color, all the sweetness, all the apple aroma, and finally most of the apple taste. I find the cider is very enjoyable from about week 1 to 3 when it is sparkling, semi-sweet, and still apple-ly. It is definitely something to enjoy before it fully ferments!

Eventually it becomes nothing more than yeasty smelling ethanol-water. So definitely drink it up before that point.

I have been using cold pasteurized (uv) local cider and none of my brewing sterilization techniques. I have fermented in the fridge right in the milk jug style containers the cider comes in. Just pour off a cup or so from the new jug and pour in a bit of the dregs from the old jug.

I did try one gallon out of the fridge. It was quite a vigorous fermentation, but it resulted in very bland ethanol-water. It lost almost all the apple characteristics and was not something I am going to bother with repeating.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 09:19 PM   #12
corwin3083
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Every time I've let Pacman get into the 70s, I've ended up with a crazy amount of phenols. In the best case, it wasn't bad, just not what I was expecting, but in the worst case, it was like drinking a band-aid milkshake.

Bottled - Brett B Red Wine, Dandelion Honey Braggot, Dandelion Honey Mead, Dragon's Milk Clone, JAOM, Mixed Berry Mead, SMaSH Lager, Strawberry Wine (2013), Vanilla Wine, White Grape Juice Wine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply