Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Pac Man Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2012, 03:19 AM   #21
thisoneguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I did end up breaking down and buying a smack pack. I now have essentially 3 separate cultures that I'll probably plate and slant for long term storage (and to create my master strain). Thanks for pointing me in the direction to someone who carried them.

Once I get my plates and slants set up, I'd be willing to trade. I will also have some of Bell's ale yeast in plates and slants. This should hopefully not take too long; just long enough to read the directions about my pressure canner, so I don't blow anything up while I sterilize the equipment.

If you're interested, PM me and we can try to work something out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2012, 06:43 PM   #22
Woodbury419
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisoneguy
I did end up breaking down and buying a smack pack. I now have essentially 3 separate cultures that I'll probably plate and slant for long term storage (and to create my master strain). Thanks for pointing me in the direction to someone who carried them.

Once I get my plates and slants set up, I'd be willing to trade. I will also have some of Bell's ale yeast in plates and slants. This should hopefully not take too long; just long enough to read the directions about my pressure canner, so I don't blow anything up while I sterilize the equipment.

If you're interested, PM me and we can try to work something out.
Are you still up for this?

Old 03-17-2012, 08:35 PM   #23
thisoneguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I still haven't even made my plates/slants yet. Between studying for a professional exam for work, looking for a house to buy, and planning a wedding, I just haven't had the time. I haven't even brewed in about a month....

When I do finally get around to doing this, I'll send you a message. I just don't know when it will be. Sorry...

Old 03-17-2012, 08:49 PM   #24
Woodbury419
Recipes 

haha, no worries bro! I totally understand, I got finals this coming week and work has been nonstop for me as well. definitely keep me in mind when you get a chance and good luck!

Old 03-30-2012, 01:40 PM   #25
kasky99
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodbury419 View Post
So I've stumbled across Rogue Dead Guy Ale hear in the UK on base. I've tried several different batches to propagate the Pac Man yeast that's in the bottles. I honestly want to say that they've been pasteurized..which leads me into this question. Does anyone have any Pac Man slants available that would like to trade? I have on hand in slants Wyeast 2308, Saflager S-23, Safale S-33, White Labs Cry Havoc, Wyeast 1056, and an unknown strain from a German Hefeweizen Tap (produces excellent wheat beers).

I can promise that these are pure strains and the yeasts are very happy in their slants! Any Takers?!
It is hard to get Pacman from Dead Guy. It is well known that dead guy uses pacman but if you have noticed the label does not mention this. Rogue beers that specifically say "Pacman Yeast" on the box are the easiest ones to work with. I made a quick starter and poured the dregs of a Rogue Yellow Snow IPA in there and it took off as fast as most smack packs.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:18 PM   #26
badbrew
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Tried...Failed

I poured the bottom ~1oz of 2 bottles into a 50ml starter and stepped to 500ml. Grew mold in 4 days.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:41 PM   #27
zipfly
Recipes 

Woodbury419 did you manage to get hold of any of the pacman yeast?
I`ve tried to cultivate from Rogue bottles from Beers Of Europe nr Kings Lynn, but no luck.
If you have got some, any chance of a pitch?, willing to pay.
I occasionally work on RAF Lakenheath so pick up would be easy
Thanks
Dave

Old 05-11-2013, 02:07 PM   #28
Woodbury419
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipfly View Post
Woodbury419 did you manage to get hold of any of the pacman yeast?
I`ve tried to cultivate from Rogue bottles from Beers Of Europe nr Kings Lynn, but no luck.
If you have got some, any chance of a pitch?, willing to pay.
I occasionally work on RAF Lakenheath so pick up would be easy
Thanks
Dave
Sorry for the delayed response. You I wasn't able to harvest any live cultures. I ended up taking 24 5ml samples in search of viable pacman yeast. I didn't come across any viable cultures.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:25 PM   #29
bob3000
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just order some from uk mail order shop. Try maltmiller.co.uk i'm sure i've seen it there, he can also get any yeast you want if you email him.

Quick Reply