The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Pac Man Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #11
permo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts

I am not questioning your need for this yeast, it's fun to use different yeasts, but I see that you have 1056.........I have a hard time discerning pacman from 1056/wlp001. If you have a specific recipe for the pacman yeast in mind, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to use the 1056 as a perfectly fine substitute.

I have always had good luck harvesting it from shakespear stout 22 oz bombers....for what its worth.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2012, 02:10 PM   #12
rossolo
Recipes 

I enjoy PACMAN yeast teamed with palisade hops and rye in the grain bill. Just has a clean bite and has become my house strain as well. Due to laziness I buy the smack pack from wyeast but have been able to harvest for multiple generations great yeast to have around. Sorry haven't got into slants but plan to

Old 01-10-2012, 03:54 PM   #13
chuckjaxfl
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Shipping to an APO? What's the lag time these days? I was stationed in Sigonella. It might be one week or six before packages showed up. Do you think a sterile suspension might be a more durable way to ship?

Either way, choose and PM your address. I've both ready to go.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:53 PM   #14
VolFan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You can order Pacman from Rebel Brewer, they carry it year round. Rebelbrewer.com.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:57 PM   #15
pd230soi
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodbury419

I'm in Lakenheath, UK (England), is this feasible?=(
Lakenheath = planes = pilots = people that like good beer = people that are willing to bring you smack packs......

Just saying.....

Old 01-10-2012, 09:32 PM   #16
Woodbury419
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spook View Post
For what its worth, I recently harvested successfully from a ceramic swing top bottle of Rogue "XS Imperial Stout" that I discovered hiding in the back of my beer closet. I stepped up a nice starter and pitched most into a test batch of beer last night (which is happily bubbling already) and froze the rest with a water/glycerine in 15ml vials.

I'll check into shipping, but I suspect keeping it cold for the time it takes to get to the UK from the US may be a challenge. I had tried and failed a few times before with other Rogue beers. A couple of things that I think helped this time:

-The bottle I harvested from had sat undisturbed and upright for >6mo, so there was a nicely settled layer on the bottom.
-I poured the beer out into a pitcher (ok a pyrex measure, I'm a guy) in one pour before serving it. I've found that doing multiple pours brings more of the yeast up into suspension and leaves less to be harvested.
-I used a little boiled and cooled water to swirl around in the bottom of the bottle to get all the yeast into a slurry and pitched into a ~150ml starter on a stir plate in a warmed cooler at 70F (my diy incubator).

Cheers!
Haha, niice! Unfortunately we don't get the Stout here from Rogue. It's rare to get craft beer in at the BX, when we do it goes quickly and the type and brand changes each time..I'm not sure why. If I come across that stout I'll be sure to get one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckjaxfl View Post
Shipping to an APO? What's the lag time these days? I was stationed in Sigonella. It might be one week or six before packages showed up. Do you think a sterile suspension might be a more durable way to ship?

Either way, choose and PM your address. I've both ready to go.
Man, depends on the weather and Rammsteins mood on lag times. lol, I've had things come in a week whereas some items take the full six weeks it's hard to say. I'm not sure what medium would be the best way to go to ship yeasts honestly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolFan View Post
You can order Pacman from Rebel Brewer, they carry it year round. Rebelbrewer.com.
I'll check this out, thanks a lot bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pd230soi View Post
Lakenheath = planes = pilots = people that like good beer = people that are willing to bring you smack packs......

Just saying.....
You are absolutely right, however I'm at a fighter wing. I don't think the lil' yeastys are capable of handling the crazy amount of G's those planes pull. lol, worst part is I don't know any flyers here...back in Dover I did.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:34 PM   #17
Woodbury419
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by permo View Post
I am not questioning your need for this yeast, it's fun to use different yeasts, but I see that you have 1056.........I have a hard time discerning pacman from 1056/wlp001. If you have a specific recipe for the pacman yeast in mind, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to use the 1056 as a perfectly fine substitute.

I have always had good luck harvesting it from shakespear stout 22 oz bombers....for what its worth.
Yeah? I honestly wanted to play with Pacman with my recipes that use 1056 already. I wanted to see if there was a difference in flavor profile and attenuation primarily. I wasn't that aware that it was that close in comparison.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:20 AM   #18
thisoneguy
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I'm about to do a comparison between Pacman and 1056 pretty soon, myself. FWIW, If you get ANY 22oz Rogue beers that specifically list Pacman on the bottle, it seems to be that you can harvest from that bottle. I recently did it with the Dad's Little Helper Black IPA and pitched the starter (grown through multiple steps) into today's American IPA.

Now I'm just trying to decide how to get this yeast again... top crop, rinse after fermentation, or just get a bottle of a good Rogue beer and propagate up from dregs again???

Old 01-17-2012, 04:22 AM   #19
chezzesteak
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisoneguy
I'm about to do a comparison between Pacman and 1056 pretty soon, myself. FWIW, If you get ANY 22oz Rogue beers that specifically list Pacman on the bottle, it seems to be that you can harvest from that bottle. I recently did it with the Dad's Little Helper Black IPA and pitched the starter (grown through multiple steps) into today's American IPA.

Now I'm just trying to decide how to get this yeast again... top crop, rinse after fermentation, or just get a bottle of a good Rogue beer and propagate up from dregs again???
Or spend 8 bucks and get some from wyeast. Rebel brewer has it. I get 8 beers out of one smack pack

Old 01-17-2012, 05:34 AM   #20
thisoneguy
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezzesteak View Post
Or spend 8 bucks and get some from wyeast. Rebel brewer has it. I get 8 beers out of one smack pack
This isn't really much of an option for me unless I have a bunch of other stuff to buy to help with the shipping cost. It costs $10+ to ship to where I live (so $18 total) and then I still have to make a starter immediately because I don't know how it's been handled on the way. Besides, it seems like a waste of money knowing that I can basically get a pitchable amount of healthy yeast for $6.99 for a bomber and the cost of a few ounces of DME and a little bit of yeast nutrient (plus about an hour each night over the course of a few nights). On the bright side, I like to think of it as I'm paying for the yeast and getting some (damn good) Rogue beer for free, so it works.

All that being said, I'm having a hard time resisting the urge to top crop this bad boy, if for nothing else than to gain the experience. With this batch, I think it would turn out better to top crop than wash, since there are a lot of hops in my beer and I don't want too many hop oils on the yeast, and extra hop material to rinse when washing.....

Quick Reply