Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Pac Man Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2012, 07:41 PM   #1
Woodbury419
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pac Man Yeast

So I've stumbled across Rogue Dead Guy Ale hear in the UK on base. I've tried several different batches to propagate the Pac Man yeast that's in the bottles. I honestly want to say that they've been pasteurized..which leads me into this question. Does anyone have any Pac Man slants available that would like to trade? I have on hand in slants Wyeast 2308, Saflager S-23, Safale S-33, White Labs Cry Havoc, Wyeast 1056, and an unknown strain from a German Hefeweizen Tap (produces excellent wheat beers).

I can promise that these are pure strains and the yeasts are very happy in their slants! Any Takers?!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
jotakah
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I can't trade, but I do know for certain that it is possible to harvest Pacman yeast from a bottle of Dead Guy, keep at it!

Old 01-08-2012, 08:01 PM   #3
Woodbury419
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotakah View Post
I can't trade, but I do know for certain that it is possible to harvest Pacman yeast from a bottle of Dead Guy, keep at it!
I know it is possible as well, but I honestly think they're pasteurizing the Dead Guy Ale before shipping out to the UK.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:54 AM   #4
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1206

Pasterized beer doesnt have yeast in it,does it?

Old 01-09-2012, 01:20 PM   #5
chezzesteak
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Where u at. This is my " house" strain.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:55 PM   #6
tacticalhooligan
Recipes 

The Dead Guy six pack is under suspicion of being filtered as there is very little to no sediment in the bottles. You will want to try with one of the Rogue 22oz bottles if possible, they are loaded with yeast on the bottom.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:17 PM   #7
Woodbury419
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezzesteak View Post
Where u at. This is my " house" strain.
I'm in Lakenheath, UK (England), is this feasible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticalhooligan View Post
The Dead Guy six pack is under suspicion of being filtered as there is very little to no sediment in the bottles. You will want to try with one of the Rogue 22oz bottles if possible, they are loaded with yeast on the bottom.
yeah, i took notice of the minimal sediment. bummer...the BX on base doesn't have the 22 oz bottles here. Just the 6 racks, =(

Old 01-09-2012, 07:22 PM   #8
ChadChaney
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You can order a Pacman smack-pak from Wyeast. I have like 4 of them in the fridge where I work, I could ship you one if you want, the date on them is not the freshest, but they have been in a walkin cooler at a constant 34-35 degrees. I grabbed 10 of them since I was not sure if it was going to be around forever, my house strain as well, killer yeast, literally eats everything! PM me if you are interested..

Old 01-10-2012, 02:40 AM   #9
chezzesteak
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

[QUOTE="Woodbury419"]

I'm in Lakenheath, UK (England), is this feasible?
Nope. Check rebel brewer

Old 01-10-2012, 01:51 PM   #10
spook
Recipes 

For what its worth, I recently harvested successfully from a ceramic swing top bottle of Rogue "XS Imperial Stout" that I discovered hiding in the back of my beer closet. I stepped up a nice starter and pitched most into a test batch of beer last night (which is happily bubbling already) and froze the rest with a water/glycerine in 15ml vials.

I'll check into shipping, but I suspect keeping it cold for the time it takes to get to the UK from the US may be a challenge. I had tried and failed a few times before with other Rogue beers. A couple of things that I think helped this time:

-The bottle I harvested from had sat undisturbed and upright for >6mo, so there was a nicely settled layer on the bottom.
-I poured the beer out into a pitcher (ok a pyrex measure, I'm a guy) in one pour before serving it. I've found that doing multiple pours brings more of the yeast up into suspension and leaves less to be harvested.
-I used a little boiled and cooled water to swirl around in the bottom of the bottle to get all the yeast into a slurry and pitched into a ~150ml starter on a stir plate in a warmed cooler at 70F (my diy incubator).

Cheers!

Quick Reply