The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Oxygenating wort necessary or not?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2013, 03:39 PM   #11
Effingbeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluckk
This is the reason some people aerate again (18 hours or so into the process) when fermenting really big batches.
"Weeeeellll" (Jamil voice)

The reason you would aerate again is because the reproductive phase and fermentation phases overlap. This is more to give reproduction and growth a boost to those overdue babies. Yeast don't have a way to store pockets of oxygen. They use it to produce enzymes and compounds in their cell walls which allow them to eat, survive, and store up nutrient for hibernation when the sugar runs out. Once the o2 is absorbed and utilized, it is no longer available for the process of fermentation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2013, 02:04 PM   #12
wyoast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effingbeer View Post
Is this a theoretical question, or a practical one? If you have the ability to make a proper starter and the ability to aerate the wort, it is a lot more practical.

I do not use pure o2, although that would be the best option from a control standpoint. I use a pump with a filter and air stone. I also do not airlock my Carboys during growth phase, just a piece of sanitized tin foil.

You can get pretty good aeration from just swirling the thing every few minutes for 15-30 minutes. Especially if you don't airlock it for the first 24 hours or so.
It was just a theoretical question, but great to hear some feedback from both sides of the fence. just trying to get that part of my process dialed in. I have been aerating with a rod on a drill (kinda like a degassing rod for wine) but am allways leary of wild yeasts or pollen of some sort getting in before I pitch and get get it sealed up. Thanks for the insight!

Old 04-09-2013, 12:23 PM   #13
Effingbeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoast
but am allways leary of wild yeasts or pollen of some sort getting in before I pitch and get get it sealed up.
This is one that should posted in the homebrewing myths thread. I appreciate the fact that sanitation is the first skill to master, BUT there is a fine line between paranoia and common sense. Truth is, no matter what you do, you are introducing wild yeast and bacteria into your wort as soon as it is cool enough to support life. To me, this is one of the most important reasons for proper pitch rate to begin with. As long as you have clean, sanitized surfaces and healthy yeast, other organisms can't compete.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:31 PM   #14
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 110

The real question (as I see it):

If I make an adequate sized starter, do I need need to worry about using an O2 tank and stone to oxygenate my wort? My anecdotal answer based on 100+ brews is a resounding NO. With a good sized starter and some vigorous splashing of the chilled wort, I have never had a stuck fermentation or noticeable off-flavors as a product of fermentation.

Cheers!

Old 04-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #15
Effingbeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brulosopher
The real question (as I see it):

If I make an adequate sized starter, do I need need to worry about using an O2 tank and stone to oxygenate my wort? My anecdotal answer based on 100+ brews is a resounding NO. With a good sized starter and some vigorous splashing of the chilled wort, I have never had a stuck fermentation or noticeable off-flavors as a product of fermentation.

Cheers!
Exactly how I see it. When it boils down to it,this is the simple easy answer to all the goofy what if questions.

Quick Reply