Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Oxygenate secondary transfer with Brett?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2012, 01:09 AM   #1
lpdjshaw
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Oxygenate secondary transfer with Brett?

Hoping some of you out there can shed some light on how to add Brett to secondary. I didn't give it much thought before hand but once I started the process I wasn't sure the best way to go about it. Anyways, I brewed a Saison and split the batch and added Brett to one. I purged my carboy with CO2 and was careful not to aerate the wort like usual then added the Brett. Then I got to thinking that the yeast actually needs the O2. So should I have aerated just like for primary? It's been 3 days and I don't see any activity.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2012, 06:45 AM   #2
digitalhifi
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'd be interested to hear opinions on this as well. Personally I would imagine not purposefully oxygenating it. You will get a little bit of oxygenation from normal open transferring techniques. By adding Brett to secondary, you are presumably looking for that distinctive character, and you should intensify it by giving it minimal O2, just as you would when making any other Belgian beer.

As far as not seeing any activity, you generally don't always see activity in secondary, especially in a beer like a saison that already is normally pretty dry. It will likely form a pellicle in a few weeks.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
milldoggy
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Don't aerate, just pitch the brett and wait. The occasional opening for tasting is plenty of o2. I have also used and oak dowel to help transfer o2. I insert it into a stopper and through the surface of the beer.

My hop stopper

Quick Reply