Oxygen halfway through fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everybody.. This last weekend I did a whole lost of batches.. One was a five gallon American Amber and the other was a five gallon Black IPA.. I also put together 4 different five gallon batches of wine..

Just today I obtained a nice new bottle of oxygen that I am very anxious to use with a 5 micron stone. Fermentation has started of course, but is far from over. I was wondering if there would be any downfalls to giving each of them a short blast of oxygen.. I know if you add oxygen too late, you will get a cardboardish oxygenated flavor. Just don't know where the threshold is between oxygen being helpful or damaging..

Fermentation on the Black IPA is okay.. but I've seen better.. I don't think I sloshed it around enough before I pitched..

Don't. It may be over halfway finished in 2-3 days. Just wait for the next one.

Some people will oxygenate a real high gravity beer (imperial or barleywine) at pitching time and then do it again maybe 8-12 hrs later. On an average gravity batch I wouldn't do it. Just save the oxygen and do it on your next batch.

Don't do it! Unless the yeast are actively replicating they don't need the O2. You wouldn't be flirting with oxygenation, you'd be ripping your shirt off and shoving your nubile breasts in its face.

Thank you all for the responses.. I will restrain this time.. This just means that I need to get more grains n' hops ordered so I can try it on the next one!

Latest posts

Back