Old 10-04-2012, 05:22 AM   #1
sgraham602
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Overboxygenation

So i used my oxygen tank (small red tank from lowes) and aeration stone for the first time today. After reading online, I aerated for 3 minutes. After aerating, the regulator started to whistle. I now realize that the tank is empty after one use. Did i over do it? Should I not have opened up the regula tregulator all the way?

Kegged
-Three Hearted Ale
-Galaxy Kolsch

Fermenting
-Hope & King Clone

On Deck
-Pliney Clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 05:22 AM   #2
sgraham602

Recipes 

Sorry for the typos. Started this thread from my iPhone

Kegged
-Three Hearted Ale
-Galaxy Kolsch

Fermenting
-Hope & King Clone

On Deck
-Pliney Clone

Old 10-04-2012, 05:27 AM   #3
RobertRGeorge
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Seems I just read that oxygenating with pure oxygen should take about 1 minute for a high-gravity wort. Can't tell you how much oxygen is in the kind of tank you used, but most sources I've read say a good shaking of the primary fermenter for a minute or two, or even vigorous splashing when pouring wort into it, are sufficient for oxygenating a wort of medium gravity. I suspect you may have over done it.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:30 AM   #4
sgraham602

Recipes 

Truth be told, I probably had the tank on for around 1.5 mins or so.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:25 AM   #5
KaSaBiS
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I do a min to a min and a half per 6 gal with it cracked just enough to see bubbles without upsetting the surface too much. I got about 8 10g batches per little red tank and works great. I sometimes go back and hit it again 4 hrs after pitch if I don't see much activity. Works great. Will def re oxy when i brew my first lager next week. Chances are all you did was fill the head space with oxy then it all overflowed the carboy.

I just got a Mr Beer kit and want to brew a Double Imperial Blueberry Heffy Witesit....we have no air conditioning and live next to the sun...do you think I can logger and bottle this in time for a party I will be having next week?

Old 10-04-2012, 02:37 PM   #6
bja
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgraham602 View Post
So i used my oxygen tank (small red tank from lowes) and aeration stone for the first time today. After reading online, I aerated for 3 minutes. After aerating, the regulator started to whistle. I now realize that the tank is empty after one use. Did i over do it? Should I not have opened up the regula tregulator all the way?
I can't imagine that it's even possible to empty a tank in 3 minutes through an air stone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaSaBiS View Post
I do a min to a min and a half per 6 gal with it cracked just enough to see bubbles without upsetting the surface too much. I got about 8 10g batches per little red tank and works great. I sometimes go back and hit it again 4 hrs after pitch if I don't see much activity. Works great. Will def re oxy when i brew my first lager next week. Chances are all you did was fill the head space with oxy then it all overflowed the carboy.
I've been using the same tank for over 2 years now. Over 100 batches and it's still not empty.

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #7
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 743 Times on 523 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Turn the thing on until you see bubbles and then dial The valve back until the bubbles are just breaking the surface. I do 30 seconds max for mid-gravity beers and maybe 1 min for big beers. That's plenty for the yeast and makes your tank and last.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #8
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 425 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 321

Quote:
Originally Posted by bja View Post
I can't imagine that it's even possible to empty a tank in 3 minutes through an air stone.

I've been using the same tank for over 2 years now. Over 100 batches and it's still not empty.
You've been using a small, red tank from the hardware store for 2 years? Over 100 batches???? I don't think so. You must be using a larger tank. Either that or you are not aerating properly. I'm a miser with O2 and there is absolutely no way to get that many batches out of a small tank.

To the OP. Like mentioned above, about a miniute is fine. And just barely crack the regulator untill bubbles start to flow. I usually get about 8 batches out of a tank, but I use it to aerate starters as well.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #9
bja
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL_Brewer View Post
You've been using a small, red tank from the hardware store for 2 years? Over 100 batches???? I don't think so. You must be using a larger tank. Either that or you are not aerating properly. I'm a miser with O2 and there is absolutely no way to get that many batches out of a small tank.

To the OP. Like mentioned above, about a miniute is fine. And just barely crack the regulator untill bubbles start to flow. I usually get about 8 batches out of a tank, but I use it to aerate starters as well.
Yes, little red tank, same one for over 2 years and I also aerate starters with it. About a minute of bubbles barely reaching the surface. Maybe you guys have a leak somewhere. Do you remove the regulator in between uses?

After I bought this thing I kept reading how people used them up so fast, so a month later I bought a spare tank. It's still sitting in my cupboard all covered with dust because I still haven't touched it.

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:39 PM   #10
sgraham602

Recipes 

I had that sucker wide open. I'll dial it back. Does over oxygenating have an ill affects?

Quick Reply