Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Overactive fermentation???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2009, 09:04 PM   #1
EKennett
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Overactive fermentation???

Hey guys, just put up my very first batch of homebrew! It's an American IPA extract kit from Williams Brewing. Smells yummy.

I have a question about my yeast and fermentation. I made a starter out of the Wyeast American Ale yeast and got a nice 1/4" thick sediment layer on the bottom of the flask. I pitched that to my cooled wort in a plastic bucket fermenter and topped it with an airlock. I have a very healthy looking krausen going on after 2 days of resting. So much so that foam is blowing out the top of the airlock. I took the airlock and stopper out today, cleaned and resanitized them, and put them back in, but it's still bubbling out. Is this ok? Should I do anything? I don't want the holes in the airlock to clog and cause pressure to build. Thanks for the advice!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2009, 09:08 PM   #2
hamiltont
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Just keep cleaning it up & keep it sanitary (Star-San). It sounds like you might be fermenting a little warm. Ideally the beer (not the room temp) should be around 65 F or less.Preferably less. I keep mine at 62 F.

If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Old 10-21-2009, 09:11 PM   #3
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Blow-off tube.

Basically a tube that fits in the neck of the carboy with the end submerged in a bottle, jug, etc... of sanitary liquid.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:17 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Actually if you have an airlcok blowoff right now it's best to clean, resanitize and install a blowoff tube.

Here's what I do with a 3 piece airlock,

The tube is the one that came with my bottling wand, with a tiny slit in it. I also saw/break off the little chriss/cross at the bottom of the shank, which helps keep goop from getting stuck.

The picture is just for illustation only, you actually want the container of sanitizer to sit below the fermenter.

But a blowoof just means you have a HEALTHY fermentation. It's OK!!!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-21-2009, 09:30 PM   #5
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
The picture is just for illustation only, you actually want the container of sanitizer to sit below the fermenter.
Why is this? I actually have mine sit on a ledge in a chest freezer, about an inch below lid level, and I still get some beer flying into the water. Does it create less pressure?

Old 10-21-2009, 09:50 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkershner View Post
Why is this? I actually have mine sit on a ledge in a chest freezer, about an inch below lid level, and I still get some beer flying into the water. Does it create less pressure?
It helps prevent....what's the term..."back wash?" "Back peressure?" Sucking the stuff back into the fermenter, if the temp changes or their is changes in air pressure......but I think an inch below lid level is fine...it I think the issue is that if it is a little lower than the top of the fermenter it is fine.

I usually prop mine on a stack of old vhs tapes until the hose hangs low and not too low to crimp the end at the airlock....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-21-2009, 10:14 PM   #7
EKennett
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Revvy, that's the exact airlock I have. I have some extra tubing lying around, maybe I will sanitize it and give that a shot.

I'm not worried at all about the actual fermentation, it looks like it's going great. It's in my pantry which stays in the low-mid 60's. Very excited to have a homebrew :-p

Old 10-21-2009, 10:53 PM   #8
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I usually prop mine on a stack of old vhs tapes until the hose hangs low and not too low to crimp the end at the airlock....
I use a racking cane holder to hold the hose in place. Not as scientific as VHS tapes mind you, but I would argue equal to more effective.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:08 PM   #9
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

Also, check into Fermcap-S, if you want to bypass the blowoff. There's nothing wrong with using a blowoff, but it can be a mess.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 10-21-2009, 11:24 PM   #10
EvilGnome6
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexLaw View Post
Also, check into Fermcap-S, if you want to bypass the blowoff. There's nothing wrong with using a blowoff, but it can be a mess.
I recently started using Fermcap and it works brilliantly.

Quick Reply