Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Over shot OG...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2012, 10:49 AM   #1
Jdk261
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default Over shot OG...

Brewed a RIS yesterday afternoon. My intended OG was 1.087, however, I ended up at 1.106.

I pitched a smack-pack of Wyeast 1080...think this will do the trick? Anything to watch out for?

With an already high targeted OG, this would have been my "biggest" beer to date, but now it's even bigger and I want to make sure I'm giving my yeasties every chance to do their job.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2012, 11:01 AM   #2
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Was this extract or all grain? If extract, chances are you didn't actually overshoot OG as much as you think you did. All grain, well, you're in for a BIG beer.

Either way - even at 1.087, a single smack pack is a pretty severe under pitch, unless there was a pretty big starter involved.... Was there a starter? If not, can you get to the LHBS and get a couple more smack packs to pitch in there ASAP? 3 would still be an under pitch, but given 24 hours or so of ramp up time, that first smack pack has already done a bunch of propagating...

Old 07-09-2012, 11:01 AM   #3
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 636 Times on 472 Posts
Likes Given: 249

Did you use extract? If so, chances are good you didn't mix in the water sufficiently. Your gravity sample was likely from the denser, sugar-heavy part of the wort.

One smack pack is definitely not enough, even at your target OG let alone the higher one. You needed to make a starter. At this point I would pitch additional yeast after you've made a starter with it- not to create additional cells, but to get them used to alcohol since you'll new pitching them into an alcoholic solution.

P.s. What strat said... Beat me by seconds!

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: sour cherry mead, imperial chocolate stout and its not-so-small beer second runnings, our bruin & a few other sours
Aging: a bunch of belgian and soured stuff, and acerglyn.
Up next: harvest ale with homegrown hops

Old 07-09-2012, 11:15 AM   #4
Jdk261
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

It was an all grain batch. I suppose I'll get a starter going tonight and see what happens, I'll report back. Thanks guys.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #5
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 83

I don't think I'd wait for a starter - get more yeast in there ASAP. The long it lags, the more off flavor - inducing compounds you'll potentially have to deal with.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:47 AM   #6
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratslinger
I don't think I'd wait for a starter - get more yeast in there ASAP. The long it lags, the more off flavor - inducing compounds you'll potentially have to deal with.
I disagree with this. Just pitching another pack is likely to give you the same result. I suggest you get hold of WLP099 high Gravity, make a 3L starter, and wait for full krausen before you pitch. It won't be long enough to hugely increase your cell count, but it WILL get the yeast awake and in a feeding frenzy when they hit that all-you-can-eat RIS buffet!

EDIT: didn't read stratslinger's first response--if you get 2-3 more vials/packs, you may not need a starter--but I might make one anyway and pitch after 24 hrs

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:01 PM   #7
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 461 Times on 428 Posts
Likes Given: 207

According to yeastcalc.com you will ned 355B cells assuming a July date on your smack pack. To achieve this with a starter using intermittent shaking method you will need a 3.5L starter total or a 2L + a 1.5L
If using a stir plate you can get away with a 2.5L starter, I too would recommend geting the starter going and pitch it at high krausen as it's a big beer and high alcohol.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:05 PM   #8
Jdk261
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Maybe, in the interest of time, I'll grab 2-3 more smack packs and stir them in. Probably not the most economical solution; but it should work.

So, I'll throw it out there for a vote...grab a few more packs and be able to pitch today OR get a starter going and be able to pitch sometime later this week?

Old 07-09-2012, 12:22 PM   #9
arnoldk2
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

How long has it been fermenting? If you've pitched and it has been 24 hours then the yeast is already stressed and already produced flavors that you may not want. Time is essential right now. I wouldn't bother with a starter as that will take another day to get ready. If it were me I would buy a couple smack packs and pitch them. Granted the yeast wouldn't be at high krausen like a starter would be but they will be active because that is how a smack pack is designed. IMO, I don't think either a starter or more smack packs would help out a great deal now but adding more smack packs couldn't hurt either.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:42 PM   #10
Jdk261
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnoldk2 View Post
How long has it been fermenting? If you've pitched and it has been 24 hours then the yeast is already stressed and already produced flavors that you may not want. Time is essential right now. I wouldn't bother with a starter as that will take another day to get ready. If it were me I would buy a couple smack packs and pitch them. Granted the yeast wouldn't be at high krausen like a starter would be but they will be active because that is how a smack pack is designed. IMO, I don't think either a starter or more smack packs would help out a great deal now but adding more smack packs couldn't hurt either.
I pitched the yeast late last night. I don't think I agree with you that "more yeast isn't going to help now"...I appreciate your input, however, this claim does not seem accurate. Many brewers repurchase yeast at various stages of fermentation.

Quick Reply