Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Over fermenting question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2012, 09:52 AM   #11
ZachHarms
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

So I bottled it and it tasted great but my reading showed 2% abv which seems too low considering it should be about 3 to 4 does bottling with the sugar reactive the yeast And cause a higher abv once bottled? Instead of adding the corn sugar for priming I went to my local homebrew shop where I was introduced to these carbonating sugar balls, seemed really easy just put one sugar cube (they are round) in yo each bottle, it apparently helps maintain an equal amount if sugar per bottle and it was only 4 bucks for 60 of them

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 08:09 PM   #12
ZachHarms
Recipes 

Well not sure of the exact abc now but it got bottled today is the 7 day mark I had one yesterday cause I couldn't resist it tastes great

Old 10-06-2012, 08:13 AM   #13
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 283 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 325

Glad to hear it. The best way to buy bottles is also the cheapest way: already filled with beer!

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 10-06-2012, 03:16 PM   #14
pelipen
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachHarms
So I bottled it and it tasted great but my reading showed 2% abv which seems too low considering it should be about 3 to 4 does bottling with the sugar reactive the yeast And cause a higher abv once bottled? Instead of adding the corn sugar for priming I went to my local homebrew shop where I was introduced to these carbonating sugar balls, seemed really easy just put one sugar cube (they are round) in yo each bottle, it apparently helps maintain an equal amount if sugar per bottle and it was only 4 bucks for 60 of them
I think you were reading the wrong scale. The potential alcohol scale just gives you potential assuming it ferments to 1.000.
since you said ~2%, you were probably in the 1.012-1.015 range. Since you think you started at 1.048, you just need to do a little math, or use a calculator on the net. Just search for abv calculator.

when I'm feeling lazy, I get a pile of sugar super hot in a pan to sterilize it, but not melt it, then measure a dose into each bottle. Then I can skip the bottle bucket. It works for small batches, but takes too long for a whole 5g batch.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS