New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Over fermenting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 10:54 AM   #1
Reepo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Over fermenting

Brewed up an IPA last night. Woke up this morning to a blown airlock and krausen coming out. Is it safe to use a sanitized spoon to scoop some of the foam out of the primary fermenter, or just let it go? Wasn't sure if this would go in the beginners section or not. Just starting out brewing. Any help would be appreciated. Brewing a 5 gal batch in a 6.5 gal bucket.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 11:03 AM   #2
Butchv12
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Clean it up the best you can, clean up the airlock and put everything back together. Beer was made long before we sterilized everything.

ButchV12

Old 02-17-2013, 11:55 AM   #3
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 803 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 1818

I wouldn't scoop out any of the krausen. You could:

1) clean and sanitize your airlock and put it back on
2) lay the lid loosely on the bucket, so that CO2 and krausen can escape if necessary
3) put the fermenter inside some other waterproof container, like a rubbermaid bin, so you don't have to worry about the clean up if the krausen comes pouring out of the bucket
4) when the danger passes, push the lid back down tight

You might do a quick search for 'blow off tube' - basically you replace your airlock with a long piece of tubing that goes from the fermenter to a large container full of water, it works as an airlock, but if you get overflowing krausen, it just goes out the tube into the container, rather than stopping up your airlock and exploding your bucket lid. I didn't think blow off tubes were usually needed on buckets (with lots of headroom), but those of us who use carboys use them often (I use it on every brew).

Old 02-17-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
Reepo
Recipes 

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to look into the blowoff tube today. I definitely don't want to ruin a batch of beer, let alone an IPA. My last batch didn't ferment this violently, so I didn't know what direction to take. Thanks again.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:34 PM   #5
Cyclman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 288 Times on 254 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Unlikely it'll be infected, just clean it up and put a clean sanitized airlock or blowoff on it. I only use blowoffs for primary now.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing, visiting the great breweries / brewpubs in CO!

Old 02-17-2013, 11:35 PM   #6
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 436 Times on 347 Posts
Likes Given: 15

One thing to look at is temperature control. If things get too warm then fermentation can get even more vigorous than usual.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 02-18-2013, 12:06 AM   #7
Idrum6969
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I brewed a Belgian beer recently that did the same thing. Just clean your airlock and put a blow off tube on it.A piece of tubing attached to your airlock in a jug/jar of sanitized solution will remedy the problem. The krausen is a protective blanket for your beer. Many brewers ferment their beer with a open/semi open container for the first 3 to 4 days of fermenting.You should be ok.......

New River Brewery & Co. Making home brew since 2012.
Primary- Dundalk Secondary-Dark Wheat Porter. Bottled-Chocolate Stout & Dawson's Multigrain Red. On Tap-Oud Bruin de Table Farmhouse Ale & Speckled Heifer Ale.

Quick Reply