Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Over fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2012, 10:44 PM   #1
Musicdan77
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 7

Default Over fermentation

I am at a total loss. I have been brewing several years now and I have had an acute problem of over fermentation in the bottle. That is, when I open the bottle it simply overflows foam like a volcano. I bottle condition all my beers with priming sugar, but the last batch I made (an IPA) has just been atrocious. Help!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 10:45 PM   #2
DoubleAught
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Had that problem once. Little did I know the inside of my bottles were dirty, infected the beer and caused gushers. I'm not saying this is your problem, but an option.

In their efforts to regulate beer quality, the ancient Babylonians, who were among history's earliest brewers, decreed that any commercial beermaker who sold unfit beer would be drowned in their own libation.
Musicdan77 Likes This 
Old 12-26-2012, 11:30 PM   #3
SterlingHopper
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It sounds like your problem can be more-aptly described as over-carbonation. There are several root causes here, but the basic gist is that there is too much simple sugar in your beer when you bottle.

Are you weighing the priming sugar, adjusting for beer volume and temperature? Are you aerating your wort enough and pitching a proper amount of yeast?

I think my problem lately has been related to fermentation temps. Yeast is pretty sensitive to temperature changes. Fermentation gives off heat, so as activity slows the beer will cool slightly. This could be enough to let the yeast go to sleep before they're done. If you can, try to ramp up fermentation temps as activity subsides to ensure complete fermentation. This way you know that there is no residual sugar left in your beer when you bottle.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:01 AM   #4
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 2

When you open the next one, pour some into an hydrometer jar and let it degas and then take a reading. If the gravity is lower than when you bottled it, you had some continued fermentation in the bottle. Either you bottled too early or got some wild yeast contamination. If this is only a month or so after bottling, I'd suspect you bottled too early. A small amount of wild yeast takes a long time to build population and do much damage.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:15 AM   #5
Musicdan77
Recipes 

Thanks for the suggestions. There has been the concern over dirty equipment and bottles. Unfortunately, I may have been brewing for several years, but I need to perfect my technique.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:03 PM   #6
progmac
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 303

how much priming sugar are you using?

Old 12-27-2012, 06:18 PM   #7
LAbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Your problem sounds to me like you don't wait until it finishes before bottling.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:14 AM   #8
Musicdan77
Recipes 

I use the amount that I am given at the home brew store near me. Problem is, I am not 100% sure of its 5 ounces, 4 or 6. as for waiting, well that could be it, but after primary fermentation (1 week), I racked into a secondary for about 2 weeks.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:03 PM   #9
progmac
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicdan77 View Post
I use the amount that I am given at the home brew store near me. Problem is, I am not 100% sure of its 5 ounces, 4 or 6. as for waiting, well that could be it, but after primary fermentation (1 week), I racked into a secondary for about 2 weeks.
I take it you don't have a scale. Next time, cut back to 1/2 cup table sugar or 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons corn sugar.

And of course boil the sugar in water to make a simple syrup and add it when you begin racking the beer to the bottling bucket.
Musicdan77 Likes This 
Old 12-28-2012, 01:41 PM   #10
LAbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Fermenting temps, time and yeast/ aeration will all help determine how long it takes to finish. Get a hydrometer and use it before you bottle to see if the beer is ready. If it gets cold , the fermentation may have stalled out and restarted with the extra sugar at bottling. That would cause the foaming.

Quick Reply