Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > The original Lager thread.. Everything you ever wanted to know or ask

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2013, 09:13 PM   #41
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4777 Times on 3472 Posts
Likes Given: 953

Quote:
Originally Posted by guldalian View Post
Will adding ale yeast to a lager for carbing purposes introduce any ale flavors?
No, that's why it works so well.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2013, 06:34 PM   #42
Bulls Beers
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneHands View Post
I'm jumping in the lager thread late, but I enjoy the heck out of lagers.

Bulls Beers, for a helles, definitely follow Kai's advice and look into the water primer too. I make a fantastic helles thanks to these two resources. I use mostly distilled water, a little calcium chloride, and acid malt (I think the acid malt adds some flavor in addition to adjusting the pH, so I think it's necessary). I swear when I take a sip of my helles, if I close my eyes, I'm sitting in Marienplatz outside of Augustiner. Two batches in a row have been identical to my palate.

Good stuff in this thread.
Btw, did you do a decoction or a single infusion when doing this recipe?

Spezialisiert auf Deutsch Lagerbier...

Old 02-23-2013, 09:39 PM   #43
StoneHands
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Double infusion. Protein rest at 130 for about 10-15 minutes. And then another infusion to bring the mash up to 149 for 60 minutes. You want a helles to attenuate. I'm not sure how much the protein rest helps, weyermann malts that I use seem to have a huge amount of protein judging by the cold break material. This rest definitely does not hurt head retention, I get awesome foam in the finished beer. 6 weeks lagering seems to clear up the haze pretty well. 4 weeks its still hazy.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:16 AM   #44
02fx4dude
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Lagerus interruptus

A lagering question I have wondered about from time to time.

I've done 3 lagers now, so far all have been transferred into keg after the diacetyl rest and lagered in the keg. However, I have a limited number of kegs. so I was thinking about transferring from primary to secondary carboy after d-rest and do the first 3-4 weeks in a carboy. Then I could transfer to keg and connect CO2 for the last 3-4 weeks of lagering.

Other than potential problems with the extra handling, is there a problem with this?

TIA

Old 02-25-2013, 03:28 AM   #45
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02fx4dude View Post
A lagering question I have wondered about from time to time.

I've done 3 lagers now, so far all have been transferred into keg after the diacetyl rest and lagered in the keg. However, I have a limited number of kegs. so I was thinking about transferring from primary to secondary carboy after d-rest and do the first 3-4 weeks in a carboy. Then I could transfer to keg and connect CO2 for the last 3-4 weeks of lagering.

Other than potential problems with the extra handling, is there a problem with this?

TIA
No, that sound be fine.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:50 AM   #46
mccumath
Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper

No, that sound be fine.
Couple too many beers, huh? Haha!
Old 02-25-2013, 02:29 PM   #47
CDGoin
Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 127

I did a D-rest on my ocktoberfest that is in bottles now..

I swear it had a slight band-aid flavor while in secondary.. But afterwards and once I put it bottles it seemed it was gone, and the Ockoberfest had a dry almost perfect finish.

Fast forward a bit over a week..

The first bottle opened for a test, was flat (Flatter than when I bottled I dare say). Also, instead of that nice dry slightly sweet finish I had they dreaded Band-aid taste but worse.

Could it just be one bottle..? I did see 2-3 of my bottles had trash in them somehow, so its possible just a few bottles are contaminated. This one did not have trash though, and also I noticed I had virtually zero sediment in the bottle.

Should I simply wait..? Or is there a possibility the lager yeast couldn't handle the higher ABV (I added 2lbs of honey to the wort to increase the ABV to the 6.5% range) and I killed them.

I am currently thinking I should RDWAHAHB, but the test bottle was damn near undrinkable. That said, I didn't bottle it all.. I did put 2 into 1L growlers, and filled a 5L mini-keg. Should I pop open one of the growlers and test from there.. and the growlers and keg lack calibration add some champagne yeast?

Any thoughts..?

Old 02-25-2013, 03:19 PM   #48
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Band-aid flavors tend to come from two places- chlorophenols, from chlorine in the brewing water, or from infection.

I got an infected beer a while ago (ale) from a contaminated yeast starter and it was band-aid beer. It was undrinkably bad.

But if yours is only in a couple of bottles, maybe it was just those bottles. If it all had a slight band-aid taste, though, I think it might be the whole batch.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #49
CDGoin
Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 127

I'm pretty sure its chlorine in the water that was causing the slight bandaid back flavor when it was in the secondary at one time. ( BTW Lesson learned, I will quit using tap water.. or at least condition it )

But as I mentioned when I bottled, the samples I took there lacked any band-aid flavor. It was replaced with a more dry fruity back flavor from the honey (what I was going for) .

Then the test bottle showed up with a stronger and virtually undrinkable band-aid flavor.. but that bottle also showed ZERO carbonation. If anything the little carbonation it had going into the bottle was gone as well. Which makes me think the new bottles I used weren't cleaned enough.. and I may have a few infected bottles. As those are the ones I see crap in, and this bottle was from that group of 6 bottles.

So I am crossing my fingers on that..

I think I will pull a sample from the 1L Growler and see if it has off flavors and any carbonation.

This is my first lager, and not sure if it takes them longer to carb and age than the ales..? Because my ales were carbed shortly by the 2 week mark.. and as mentioned the test at a week and a half was dead flat.

Outside the band-aid flavor could the lack of carbonation be the lager yeast couldn't handle the higher ABV..?

Old 02-25-2013, 08:34 PM   #50
beerdragon
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I agree.

But, it won't hurt to add some yeast either. You can add 1/3 of a package of a dry yeast (like nottingham) to the cooled priming solution in the bottling bucket, stir it well, and then rack the beer into it. It guarantees an even and fast (relatively) carbing.
What about liquid yeast? I made a Pilsener with liquid lager yeast, collected the yeast cake, and stored it in my fridge last month. I used two of the jars in a starter to pitch to my honey lager yesterday so I still have 3 half-pint jars left, plus the yeast cake from the lager that I can collect later.

Quick Reply