Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > The original Lager thread.. Everything you ever wanted to know or ask

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2013, 04:52 PM   #31
02fx4dude
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls Beers View Post
Does it make a difference when you start the lagering, to either drop the temp to 32 slowly by 2-3 degrees or cold crash it down? I usually drop the temp slow. It's takes about a week to get it to lagering temps.
I asked the same question here when I did my first lager a few months ago. The collective wisdom suggested it doesn't matter if you drop the temp fast or slow. I've done 3 lagers now, after I do the d-rest I drop it down to 34-35F over about 12 hrs.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 12:40 PM   #32
Bulls Beers
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 102 Posts

Should you pitch your starter at lager temps or can you pitch it at room temp when making a lager? I usually pitch at room temp, but I read it's not optimal..

Spezialisiert auf Deutsch Lagerbier...

Old 02-22-2013, 02:07 PM   #33
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 664 Times on 479 Posts
Likes Given: 395

I'm not usually worried about my starter temps as much I'm concerned with the temperature of the wort. I usually chill the wort to 4 - 5 degrees below my target fermentation temperature, pitch the room temp starter, set the temperature controller to my target temp, and allow it to ferment and warm to that temperature.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:51 PM   #34
StoneHands
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I'm jumping in the lager thread late, but I enjoy the heck out of lagers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls Beers View Post
Should you pitch your starter at lager temps or can you pitch it at room temp when making a lager? I usually pitch at room temp, but I read it's not optimal..
Pitch cold, without a doubt. The starter you can make at room temp, but pitch it into cold wort. My method, I make my starter at least a week in advance, and crash cool it in the fridge for several days. When I pitch, I take the starter out and decant the starter beer and immediately pitch into my cooled and aerated wort. The starter is colder than the wort, but only by 10 degrees or so.

Bulls Beers, for a helles, definitely follow Kai's advice and look into the water primer too. I make a fantastic helles thanks to these two resources. I use mostly distilled water, a little calcium chloride, and acid malt (I think the acid malt adds some flavor in addition to adjusting the pH, so I think it's necessary). I swear when I take a sip of my helles, if I close my eyes, I'm sitting in Marienplatz outside of Augustiner. Two batches in a row have been identical to my palate.

Good stuff in this thread.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:41 PM   #35
Garou24
Recipes 

I just got into Home brewing and my first 2 batches were both lagers. Due to the cold temps in my basement and workshop they seemed the best beers to start with since I could ferment in the basement and then move to the workshop for cold storage. My Schwarzbier is going to be going to the secondary this weekend and then spend a month lagering before bottling. When I do bottle will I need to repitch any yeast? Or should I be ok with what is left in the beer at that time. I have an Oktoberfest that will be lagering for 6 weeks, should I add yeast to it before bottling?

Old 02-22-2013, 06:43 PM   #36
Bulls Beers
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneHands View Post
I'm jumping in the lager thread late, but I enjoy the heck out of lagers.

Pitch cold, without a doubt. The starter you can make at room temp, but pitch it into cold wort. My method, I make my starter at least a week in advance, and crash cool it in the fridge for several days. When I pitch, I take the starter out and decant the starter beer and immediately pitch into my cooled and aerated wort. The starter is colder than the wort, but only by 10 degrees or so.

Bulls Beers, for a helles, definitely follow Kai's advice and look into the water primer too. I make a fantastic helles thanks to these two resources. I use mostly distilled water, a little calcium chloride, and acid malt (I think the acid malt adds some flavor in addition to adjusting the pH, so I think it's necessary). I swear when I take a sip of my helles, if I close my eyes, I'm sitting in Marienplatz outside of Augustiner. Two batches in a row have been identical to my palate.

Good stuff in this thread.

Awe man, I love that place and IMHO, the best beer in the world.. I also have a soft spot for the Augustiner Keller. One of my favorite places in the world to drink a beer. I'm pretty excited to see how this one turns out.. If my beer comes close to what you say, I'll be a very happy homebrewer..I've been trying to perfect a nice Helles. Mine turn out pretty good, but I need better. Kai lives fairly close to me, so It would be nice to brew a batch with him.

Spezialisiert auf Deutsch Lagerbier...

Old 02-22-2013, 07:05 PM   #37
StoneHands
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garou24 View Post
I just got into Home brewing and my first 2 batches were both lagers. Due to the cold temps in my basement and workshop they seemed the best beers to start with since I could ferment in the basement and then move to the workshop for cold storage. My Schwarzbier is going to be going to the secondary this weekend and then spend a month lagering before bottling. When I do bottle will I need to repitch any yeast? Or should I be ok with what is left in the beer at that time. I have an Oktoberfest that will be lagering for 6 weeks, should I add yeast to it before bottling?
Adding yeast isn't necessary before bottling a lager, nor will it hurt. I bottled a doppelbock several years ago that had lagered for over 6 months and didn't add any fresh yeast. Granted, it took about 3-4 months to carb up, but it finally did. 4-6 weeks of lagering, I think it's very unnecessary to add additional yeast, it'll carb up in normal time. Anything longer than 3 months or so of lagering, still not necessary, but you'd probably get faster carbonation if you added it.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:09 PM   #38
Garou24
Recipes 

Quote:
Adding yeast isn't necessary before bottling a lager, nor will it hurt. I bottled a doppelbock several years ago that had lagered for over 6 months and didn't add any fresh yeast. Granted, it took about 3-4 months to carb up, but it finally did. 4-6 weeks of lagering, I think it's very unnecessary to add additional yeast, it'll carb up in normal time. Anything longer than 3 months or so of lagering, still not necessary, but you'd probably get faster carbonation if you added it.
Thanks for the quick reply!

Old 02-22-2013, 07:14 PM   #39
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4359 Times on 3169 Posts
Likes Given: 848

Quote:
I agree.

But, it won't hurt to add some yeast either. You can add 1/3 of a package of a dry yeast (like nottingham) to the cooled priming solution in the bottling bucket, stir it well, and then rack the beer into it. It guarantees an even and fast (relatively) carbing.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:12 PM   #40
guldalian
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper

I agree.

But, it won't hurt to add some yeast either. You can add 1/3 of a package of a dry yeast (like nottingham) to the cooled priming solution in the bottling bucket, stir it well, and then rack the beer into it. It guarantees an even and fast (relatively) carbing.
Will adding ale yeast to a lager for carbing purposes introduce any ale flavors?

Quick Reply