Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > The original Lager thread.. Everything you ever wanted to know or ask

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 07:36 PM   #21
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4635 Times on 3366 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Generally, the diacetyl rest is done when the beer is 75% of the way to FG, or usually about 1.020. So it's definitely ok to do it now.

I let it sit until it's completely finished (usually 24 hours once it gets to 65 degrees), and then taste for diacetyl. If there is none, I rack and lager. If there is any hint at all of diacetyl, I extend the diacetyl rest.

It's not always necessary to do a diacetyl rest, but until you're comfortable with the process and how diacetyl tastes, it's fine to do one as a matter of course.

There are those who cannot detect diacetyl at all- they just are genetically unable to. But some can detect diactetyl in very small amounts. As a tip, in small amounts diacetyl is more of a slick feeling on the tongue, or oily. It feels like it's coating your teeth a little. If you don't do the diacetyl rest then, it will get worse and can be a butterbomb after lagering. So do one if you're unsure!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 11:14 PM   #22
Bulls Beers
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 104 Posts

Hey Yooper, I'm gonna do Kai's Helles recipe. On his hop additions, what amount is 0.2g/l?

Spezialisiert auf Deutsch Lagerbier...

Old 02-11-2013, 04:18 AM   #23
mccumath
Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper
Generally, the diacetyl rest is done when the beer is 75% of the way to FG, or usually about 1.020. So it's definitely ok to do it now.

I let it sit until it's completely finished (usually 24 hours once it gets to 65 degrees), and then taste for diacetyl. If there is none, I rack and lager. If there is any hint at all of diacetyl, I extend the diacetyl rest.

It's not always necessary to do a diacetyl rest, but until you're comfortable with the process and how diacetyl tastes, it's fine to do one as a matter of course.

There are those who cannot detect diacetyl at all- they just are genetically unable to. But some can detect diactetyl in very small amounts. As a tip, in small amounts diacetyl is more of a slick feeling on the tongue, or oily. It feels like it's coating your teeth a little. If you don't do the diacetyl rest then, it will get worse and can be a butterbomb after lagering. So do one if you're unsure!
Awesome! Thanks for the info! It is warming up now, and I will leave it for a day or so at around 65 degrees, rack, then into the fridge again to lager for a month or two. Did taste a little like corn, but considering the recipe called for flaked corn, I should expect it. Did not taste buttery at all that I was aware of. Did not think it had an oily "feel" to it either, but I was not necessarily looking for it. Oh well, what can a few days at a higher temperature hurt? Will hope for the best!

Old 02-13-2013, 12:36 PM   #24
Bulls Beers

Recipes 

Does it make a difference when you start the lagering, to either drop the temp to 32 slowly by 2-3 degrees or cold crash it down? I usually drop the temp slow. It's takes about a week to get it to lagering temps.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:54 PM   #25
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 691 Times on 501 Posts
Likes Given: 410

I usually transfer to the keg to carb and lager at the same time. Haven't noticed any problems by moving directly to lagering temperatures.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:32 PM   #26
chessking
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls Beers View Post
Does it make a difference when you start the lagering, to either drop the temp to 32 slowly by 2-3 degrees or cold crash it down? I usually drop the temp slow. It's takes about a week to get it to lagering temps.
John Palmer claims it is best to slowly drop the temp, in order to keep the yeast interested on the way down. That being said, I cold crash as my fermentation chamber is usually occupied with the next batch, so my only option is to keg and stick in the keggerator.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:57 PM   #27
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 691 Times on 501 Posts
Likes Given: 410

Agree with you Chessking. I take a lot of what Palmer claims with a grain of salt - he knows quite a bit about brewing but he is not the final word!

Old 02-16-2013, 10:01 PM   #28
Bulls Beers

Recipes 

I've always dropped the temp 2 or 3 degrees until I hit 32, but I have a Bo dunkel that I'm going drop much faster. I just can't get to the point where I crash to lager temps.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:04 PM   #29
chessking
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 43 Posts

Yeah, he (John) will get you in the neighborhood, and then its up to you. In a perfect world I'd have a dedicated lagering chamber and could try it out to see if there was a difference, but SWMBO is quite adamant that my current collection of refrigerators is big enough.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:06 PM   #30
Bulls Beers

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessking View Post
Yeah, he (John) will get you in the neighborhood, and then its up to you. In a perfect world I'd have a dedicated lagering chamber and could try it out to see if there was a difference, but SWMBO is quite adamant that my current collection of refrigerators is big enough.
Ha, Mine is a space issue. I have a chest freezer for fermenting and one for lagering. My lagering freezer only holds 4 kegs. I need a bigger freezer.

Newsman Likes This 

Quick Reply