New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > The original Lager thread.. Everything you ever wanted to know or ask

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 03:32 PM   #11
Bulls Beers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Actually, most lagers don't call for "hard" water so maybe some of your additions aren't exactly right? Just a thought! We can help with a water profile if you want, as when I make lagers my additions to RO water really are minimal. Sulfate in the brewing water can make noble hops sort of harsh and "not quite right" tasting.
I'm trying to perfect a Munich Helles. I've read that the water in Munich is hard.

Spezialisiert auf Deutsch Lagerbier...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 06:40 PM   #12
Yooper
Frau Admin

Recipes 

Liked 3851 Times on 2813 Posts
Likes Given: 640

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInMKE View Post
Yooper, I'm going to be brewing an Oktoberfest (extract) tomorrow using RO water, and would love to hear your suggestions for a water profile.

FWIW, I did a three step starter of 2124 to get up over 424B cells called for, and will be fermenting in a water bath in my 57 degree basement.

Thanks in advance.
Straight RO water is fine, especially for an extract Oktoberfest. If you really wanted to do something, you could add a teaspoon of calcium chloride, but it's not necessary.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:42 PM   #13
Yooper
Frau Admin

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls Beers View Post
I'm trying to perfect a Munich Helles. I've read that the water in Munich is hard.
Actually, the preferred water for a helles is soft! Here's some info from Kai Troester's website: http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php/Various_water_recipes#very_soft_water

Old 02-08-2013, 07:58 PM   #14
MikeInMKE
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Straight RO it is! Thank you.

I'll pick up calcium chloride the next time I'm at the LHBS.

Primary 1: Maibock
Primary 2: Marzen (Oktoberfest)
Primary 3: Empty
Bottled/Kegged: Grateful Dead Guy, Bourbon Barrel Porter, Oktoberfest, Maibock, Barnyard Brown Ale, EdWort's Robust Porter, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Mosaic APA, Moose Drool clone plus, Raging Red Irish Ale, Galaxy APA, Dead Guy clone

Old 02-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #15
Bulls Beers

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 100 Posts

Quote:
Actually, the preferred water for a helles is soft! Here's some info from Kai Troester's website: http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php/Various_water_recipes#very_soft_water
I use RO water in my brews. I'm gonna try Kai's recipe and see how different it comes out than mine. I really want to nail down this style and consistently brew it.

Spezialisiert auf Deutsch Lagerbier...

Old 02-10-2013, 02:55 PM   #16
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
I dislike a long primary, even for ales, as I can pick up a flavor imparted by the yeast.
Anyway you can be more specific about "a flavor"?

Old 02-10-2013, 03:05 PM   #17
Yooper
Frau Admin

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Anyway you can be more specific about "a flavor"?
It's a definite yeast character. I can taste it in ales that have spent a long time in the primary, too. I know some people actually prefer that, and preach a "month in primary" but I don't like it. It takes away from the "clean" finish in my opinion.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:10 PM   #18
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
It's a definite yeast character. I can taste it in ales that have spent a long time in the primary, too. I know some people actually prefer that, and preach a "month in primary" but I don't like it. It takes away from the "clean" finish in my opinion.
Interesting as people seem to think the yeast spend a month 'cleaning up after themselves' implying a cleaner beer.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:17 PM   #19
Yooper
Frau Admin

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Interesting as people seem to think the yeast spend a month 'cleaning up after themselves' implying a cleaner beer.
Yes, but I think that's a very vocal minority. I don't think you'll hear that from most of the more experienced brewers, and I hear it on this forum repeated incessently but only by a minority.

The "clean up" phase of the yeast's life cycle is about 24 hours or so, at the tail end of primary fermentation. That's when the preferred fermentable sugars are gone, and then the yeast will go after the less preferential sugars (like maltiose) and then finally start to digest their own waste products when fermentables are gone. This certainly doesn't take all that long- maybe a day or two after FG is reached is a safe bet to ensure it's finished and clearing starts.

Interestingly, Basic Brewing Radio did an experiment a couple of years ago with the same recipe and doing a traditional "primary/secondary", primary only short term, and primary only long term.

All people noted differences in the final beer. The interesting part of that was some preferred the shorter time in the fermenter, while nearly as many preferred the longer time in the fermenter. So it really is personal preference, as some definitely do find the long primary preferable!
People Like This 
Old 02-10-2013, 06:23 PM   #20
mccumath
Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Can you explain at what point/steps you guys take to do your diacetyl rest? I am at at 1.019 on my American pilsner, estimated FG being 1.016. I bumped my fermentation chamber/kegerator to 55 degrees, allowing it to slowly warm up. At what temp do you warm it up to and over how long? Then rack to secondary? Fermented for 7 days so far, overpitched by about 20 billion cells per yeastcalc.com, aerated with pure O2 for 60 secs, and pitched at 52 degrees, and has held between 50 and 52 degrees during fermentation also.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Ryan

Quick Reply