Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > The original Lager thread.. Everything you ever wanted to know or ask

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2013, 11:23 PM   #141
winvarin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyDick
By the way,

I was looking at the white labs website. They have a "Munich Helles" lager strain which might be part of their seasonal yeast, and seems to be available now. I think one of us here was looking for the missing element in their MH brew, maybe this is the ticket,

First gravity check on mine planned for next week may 1st. I suppose I should try to see if I can detect DMS and Diacetyl. DMS is corn smell and Diacetyl is green apple or butterscotch? Dunno. Should I warm sample or something to try and smell or taste? Not sure I know what I'm looking for...

TD
Diacetyl is butterscotch in small amounts and sometimes moderate amounts in darker colored beers. It is more like movie popcorn butter in larger amounts. It usually has an oily or slick mouthfeel even if you can't taste it.

Even if you're unsure, a diacetyl rest cannot hurt after the bulk of fermentation is done.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2013, 03:46 AM   #142
TrickyDick
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 148 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Thanks for the input. Diacetyl is like the NFL draft in some ways, might slip past you and ruin what could be a great thing. Ugh.. Having a friend help on the tastings when I check gravity next wednesday. I must say, the temp probe/thermowell in the center of the conical doesn't move much. I cold pitched at 43 degrees, and then bumped the thermostat control to 46. Pitched it Monday morning before heading to work when I bumped it to 46. So far temp has only risen up to 44!!! That seems a bit crazy. I started at 1.048 will report back next Wednesday (or thursday if things get out of hand on the tasting night)

TD

Old 04-30-2013, 05:55 PM   #143
Bulls Beers

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 104 Posts

Anybody naturally carb a kegged lager? I usually only force carb. Is there taste difference? What's your process?

Spezialisiert auf Deutsch Lagerbier...

Old 05-02-2013, 02:38 AM   #144
TrickyDick

Recipes 

Checked the gravity today. Low 30s (OG 1.048). wort is cloudy kinda Cornish flavored. Temp had been 44-46. Never above. I bumped the temp up to 48. I think the temp controller is overshooting the temp stalling the lager yeast with lower temps

Not what I was expecting. Next update in a week.

What's up with the corn-like flavor and aroma? It was absent in the pre-pitch/post-boil chilled hydrometer sample. I did a full 90 minute boil and maybe an extra couple of minutes. DMS or yeast/fermentation by-products? It had been ten days since I pitched the yeast.

TD

Old 05-02-2013, 03:24 PM   #145
StoneHands
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

What yeast did you use again? I think most are pretty happy around 50 degrees. I did a helles again a week and a half ago, and mine's done. Usually 5-7 days mine are complete at 50 degrees. After 10 days, you should be done I think. I guess what I'm saying is that I think you did good to warm it a bit.

I get a definitely graininess with pils wort, when I boil I get whiffs of what I get when I shuck corn. It's still a bit grainy at the end of the boil (even 90 minute boils), but its gone at the end of ferment and I'm left with the familiar pils graininess. I think the corniness and graininess are similar IMO (maybe just to me).

Warm it up a bit and let it ride.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:54 PM   #146
TrickyDick

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneHands
What yeast did you use again? I think most are pretty happy around 50 degrees. I did a helles again a week and a half ago, and mine's done. Usually 5-7 days mine are complete at 50 degrees. After 10 days, you should be done I think. I guess what I'm saying is that I think you did good to warm it a bit.

I get a definitely graininess with pils wort, when I boil I get whiffs of what I get when I shuck corn. It's still a bit grainy at the end of the boil (even 90 minute boils), but its gone at the end of ferment and I'm left with the familiar pils graininess. I think the corniness and graininess are similar IMO (maybe just to me).

Warm it up a bit and let it ride.
OK. I was trying to follow the cold pitch method. I did have fermentation start within 24 hours with a huge starter.
I am using a thermo-well for the temp probe, it's in a SS tube, pinched off at the end, with the digital temp probe on my johnson temp controller, the digital one, pushed all the way to the end on the inside of the tube. Supposed to mo accurately reflect the wort temp as compared to ambient. Anyway, after I pitched the yeast at 42 or 43, I reset the temp to 46, but whenever I've checked, I've never seen the temp rise above 45. I suppose that it is making progress, likely as expected from what may be a colr than normal ferment temp. Also I don't know what the fluctuations in temp, especially at the side walls are when the freezer compressor is running.

Going to sit it out for another week and take another sample then.

Thanks

TD

Old 05-07-2013, 03:03 AM   #147
Bulls Beers

Recipes 

Hey TD, I think your making Kai's recipe. If you are, you will be pleasantly surprised. I've been trying to make an Augustiner/Weinstepahner clone for a long time. This last batch is as close as I can get it. I did a taste test and I almost couldn't tell the difference..Thank god too, these Germany trips are getting expensive and my wife is starting to complain.

But I'm still going again next year.....

Newsman Likes This 
Old 05-07-2013, 03:41 AM   #148
TrickyDick

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls Beers
Hey TD, I think your making Kai's recipe. If you are, you will be pleasantly surprised. I've been trying to make an Augustiner/Weinstepahner clone for a long time. This last batch is as close as I can get it. I did a taste test and I almost couldn't tell the difference..Thank god too, these Germany trips are getting expensive and my wife is starting to complain.

If that's her in your avatar, then you better keep her happy!!

Tasted a small sample today, the two week mark. Better than last test. Temp up to 48 F now. Nearly fermented out I would guess 1.015-1.018 based on sweetness as compared to previous tastings but just a guess. Will test the gravity on Wednesday, day 16. Still some corn flavor.

Yeh it's Kai's recipe, though I forgot to add CaCl to the boil.

Ferm is going strong based on airlock activity. Might be a three week fermentation. Will see. These always seem to go longer than expected for me. .

TD

Old 05-07-2013, 04:03 AM   #149
el_caro
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls Beers View Post

Silly question BB but do you have a link to Kai's recipe?

Old 05-08-2013, 12:29 AM   #150
Bulls Beers

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_caro View Post
Silly question BB but do you have a link to Kai's recipe?

Here you go.

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Edel_Hell

Quick Reply