Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > The original Lager thread.. Everything you ever wanted to know or ask

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2013, 10:52 PM   #121
TrickyDick
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 148 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith66
I'm going to shift gears away from water and talk temperature. I have a house with a temp around 65, a garage that is warming with the weather from the 40/50s into the 60s, and a second fridge (typical house fridge, but an old one) in the garage that seems to hang around 34 no matter what I set it for. Is there any hope for me making a lager (before next fall)?
Buy a temperature controller for your garage fridge. There are some that I've just recently heard of called STC 1000 I believe for around $22 on amazon. Or get a Johnson controller. Then you can set the fridge for whatever temp YOU want.

TD

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2013, 12:06 AM   #122
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 713 Times on 518 Posts
Likes Given: 428

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith66 View Post
I'm going to shift gears away from water and talk temperature. I have a house with a temp around 65, a garage that is warming with the weather from the 40/50s into the 60s, and a second fridge (typical house fridge, but an old one) in the garage that seems to hang around 34 no matter what I set it for. Is there any hope for me making a lager (before next fall)?
Do yourself a huge favor and purchase a temperature controller for that spare refridgerator. This is what I use and it's simple plug and play:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/j...ontroller.html

Best investment you can make in your brewery. Controlling your fermentation temps is critical for beer, but especially lagers.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:48 AM   #123
mblanks2
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeg View Post
Seriously. In my chest freezer, I think it was a good 2-3 days to go from 50-65. I don't think you're likely to surprise the yeast.

When you're chilling, you have to be more careful, both because the yeast are less fond of dropping in temperature, but also because you're using a freezer that chills the ambient to sub-zero (°F) temperatures to get the fermentor down to 30-something. That will go far, far faster than waiting for a fermentor to equilibrate with the ambient temperature. If you use an active heating element to get to D-rest temps, then you might consider how quickly you want to get there.
I do use an active heating element, so I will probably have to raise slowly over a two to three day period. My chamber is built to provide cooling and heating at any programmed set point that can be changed up to four times per day and can be monitored and changed remotely by smart phone via wifi thermostat control. Once my fermentation is complete and I want to go to D-Rest I just change the program to slowly raise the temperature over time then when I want to go to Lagering, I just flip a switch and the refrigeration control kicks in and takes the temperature to 38*F or wherever I have that control set. The temperature that is shown on the display and smart phone app is the actual temperature of the fermenting beer. I work in the HVAC field and had access to two Delfield stainless steel deli refrigerators that were taken out of a store. The first one is complete and I am currently restoring the second to operate in the same manner.
Thanks for you and Yooper's responses. I'm hoping that my first lager will be great.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:57 AM   #124
TrickyDick

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblanks2

i do use an active heating element, so i will probably have to raise slowly over a two to three day period. My chamber is built to provide cooling and heating at any programmed set point that can be changed up to four times per day and can be monitored and changed remotely by smart phone via wifi thermostat control. Once my fermentation is complete and i want to go to d-rest i just change the program to slowly raise the temperature over time then when i want to go to lagering, i just flip a switch and the refrigeration control kicks in and takes the temperature to 38*f or wherever i have that control set. The temperature that is shown on the display and smart phone app is the actual temperature of the fermenting beer. I work in the hvac field and had access to two delfield stainless steel deli refrigerators that were taken out of a store. The first one is complete and i am currently restoring the second to operate in the same manner.
Thanks for you and yooper's responses. I'm hoping that my first lager will be great.
drool!!!

Old 04-19-2013, 09:33 PM   #125
mblanks2
Recipes 

OK, so I pulled a sample this evening and it was at 1.010. Sample tasted good, no buttery taste but programmed the temperatures to raise slowly over the next three days to 65*F from the current 53*F and will let it sit at that temperature for 48 hours. Then my plan is to rack to secondary and lager at 33*F - 34*F for four weeks. That would be nearly one week per 10 points. Then my plan is to mix approx. 3 - 4 grams of Nottingham with my priming solution and bottle condition at 70* for three weeks.
Will the Nottingham cause any clarity issues?
Should I use gelatin in the secondary prior to lagering?
Do I really need to do the D-Rest or could I go ahead and rack to secondary and by-pass that. Will it cause problems if I do and don't necessarily need it?
It has been in primary for 12 days now.
Sorry for so many questions at once, but it's my first lager and I want it to be as good as it possibly can be.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:20 AM   #126
Bulls Beers

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyDick View Post
Stage two starter going! Curious to see how it takes off when I get off work tonight. Stage one was gangbusters!

Someone asked about my recipe. I was wondering if there is any feedback?

TD
Yo Dick, If you're doing Kai's recipe. What's your hop schedule? I did this recipe a few months ago. Lagered it for 2 months. It's really good, but I think it needs a tiny bit more of a hop presence. I've been trying to make a true helles. I have to say I'm pretty damn close. I've only pulled a few pints off the tap, so I can't give an exact flavor profile, but my initial reaction would be a little more hops. I'm gonna buy some Augustiner and Weinstephaner tomorrow and do a taste test.

Spezialisiert auf Deutsch Lagerbier...

Old 04-20-2013, 03:48 AM   #127
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4936 Times on 3578 Posts
Likes Given: 994

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblanks2 View Post
OK, so I pulled a sample this evening and it was at 1.010. Sample tasted good, no buttery taste but programmed the temperatures to raise slowly over the next three days to 65*F from the current 53*F and will let it sit at that temperature for 48 hours. Then my plan is to rack to secondary and lager at 33*F - 34*F for four weeks. That would be nearly one week per 10 points. Then my plan is to mix approx. 3 - 4 grams of Nottingham with my priming solution and bottle condition at 70* for three weeks.
Will the Nottingham cause any clarity issues?
Should I use gelatin in the secondary prior to lagering?
Do I really need to do the D-Rest or could I go ahead and rack to secondary and by-pass that. Will it cause problems if I do and don't necessarily need it?
It has been in primary for 12 days now.
Sorry for so many questions at once, but it's my first lager and I want it to be as good as it possibly can be.
The nottingham is a good choice.

You don't need to do a diacetyl rest, unless you need to. What I mean is that it won't hurt to do one as a matter of course, just in case there is some diacetyl that you're not picking up. Not only does diacetyl have a buttery taste in large amounts, in very small amounts it has a "slick" or oily feeling in the mouthfeel and on the teeth and tongue. You could try another small sample, to see if there is no diacetyl at all, or you could just do it anyway and no harm will come. This risk is that diacetyl will get worse, not better, once the yeast becomes inactive to clean it up.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 04-20-2013, 10:20 AM   #128
mblanks2
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
The nottingham is a good choice.

You don't need to do a diacetyl rest, unless you need to. What I mean is that it won't hurt to do one as a matter of course, just in case there is some diacetyl that you're not picking up. Not only does diacetyl have a buttery taste in large amounts, in very small amounts it has a "slick" or oily feeling in the mouthfeel and on the teeth and tongue. You could try another small sample, to see if there is no diacetyl at all, or you could just do it anyway and no harm will come. This risk is that diacetyl will get worse, not better, once the yeast becomes inactive to clean it up.
Awesome, thank you very much for the response. I will complete the D-Rest just in case. Rather be safe than sorry. Will the Nottingham cause any clarity issues? and should I use gelatin in secondary? I used irish moss in the last ten minutes of the boil.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:39 PM   #129
TrickyDick

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls Beers

Yo Dick, If you're doing Kai's recipe. What's your hop schedule? I did this recipe a few months ago. Lagered it for 2 months. It's really good, but I think it needs a tiny bit more of a hop presence. I've been trying to make a true helles. I have to say I'm pretty damn close. I've only pulled a few pints off the tap, so I can't give an exact flavor profile, but my initial reaction would be a little more hops. I'm gonna buy some Augustiner and Weinstephaner tomorrow and do a taste test.
Not sure I replied to this already
Here is my hop schedule.

.5 magnum x60
.5 hallertau mittelfreuh(?sp?) 40 min
.5 hall. mitt. x15 min

Brewed today. Hydro sample tastes. Good. Missed cooling. Temp so it's chilling to pitch temps in conical. Huge fluffy protein flakes in boil! Ran off boil kettle through HopRocket filled with rice hulls to try and filter it a bit more. Don't know if it works.
Missed gravity by .002 points. I think cause I added 2qts top off with 20 min left in boil when I decided to use the hop rocket filter plus adding immersion coil at 15 min knocked the temp off boil a bit? Dunno. First time with new burners installed. Worked great aside from some soot. Maybe evap percent is a bit different. Maybe I have more in fermenter than I know. Can't really measure the volume in the conical that I know of. So OG is 1.048. Pre boil 13.1 gal best I could tell was 1.045. Boiled it for 90 min. And recipe I had at 70 min so I figured this another reason for adding the two quarts water to boil.
Will see how long it takes freezer to drop temp to 43 from 65. Using the thermowell for first time on this.
TD
image-462476291.jpg   image-967694848.jpg  

Old 04-21-2013, 11:50 PM   #130
Bulls Beers

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyDick View Post
Not sure I replied to this already
Here is my hop schedule.

.5 magnum x60
.5 hallertau mittelfreuh(?sp?) 40 min
.5 hall. mitt. x15 min

Brewed today. Hydro sample tastes. Good. Missed cooling. Temp so it's chilling to pitch temps in conical. Huge fluffy protein flakes in boil! Ran off boil kettle through HopRocket filled with rice hulls to try and filter it a bit more. Don't know if it works.
Missed gravity by .002 points. I think cause I added 2qts top off with 20 min left in boil when I decided to use the hop rocket filter plus adding immersion coil at 15 min knocked the temp off boil a bit? Dunno. First time with new burners installed. Worked great aside from some soot. Maybe evap percent is a bit different. Maybe I have more in fermenter than I know. Can't really measure the volume in the conical that I know of. So OG is 1.048. Pre boil 13.1 gal best I could tell was 1.045. Boiled it for 90 min. And recipe I had at 70 min so I figured this another reason for adding the two quarts water to boil.
Will see how long it takes freezer to drop temp to 43 from 65. Using the thermowell for first time on this.
TD
Looks good. I'm brewing this recipe again later this week. I'll get the starter going tomorrow. I think I'm going to add a little more hops. I'm drinking an Augustiner right now. It seems to have a bit more hop presence. I'm doing a taste test with the two beers. Color is exact, but Augustiner is a tad hoppier. The two beers are pretty close. I can't believe I'm saying this, because this is my favorite beer. I have a weinstephaner original that I haven't opened yet. My second favorite beer..

Spezialisiert auf Deutsch Lagerbier...

Quick Reply