The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Open Baby!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2012, 02:47 PM   #21
TimmyR
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Yea, I do some serious juggling myself since I serve from kegs and ferment in the same chest freezer - total pain in the ass. I need to get another chest freezer or kegerator. This hobby is such a money pit.
I want to put a window unit through my wall into the small, unfinished section of my basement and set it to 55. Then I could probably ferment and store there all the time. My chest freezer was free and is usually empty, but I've been brewing more and need kegs to be ready for a family reunion next week.

This is the first time in forever that I have fermented with minimal to no temp control. I"ve tried it with WLP530 on a Belgian Pale and a Tripel...basement was holding 68'ish then. Now its around 73F in my basement so I figured Saison might work. So far so good.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2012, 03:55 PM   #22
MaddBaggins
I feel Hoppy!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Yea, I do some serious juggling myself since I serve from kegs and ferment in the same chest freezer - total pain in the ass. I need to get another chest freezer or kegerator. This hobby is such a money pit.
It is indeed. I just stuffed an a/c unit thru the wall of a closet in my garage. My "fermentation room" is holding a nice 68-71 throughout the day. The brews are holding a nice even 70˚.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:59 AM   #23
Tantalus
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've been waiting for early Fall to try my first open ferment with a Nut Brown. Let me know how the flavors in your beer turn out!

Old 07-16-2012, 01:12 AM   #24
TimmyR

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I will post pix and my best assesment of the beers. They are under cover now with loose lids and siting in my 75F storage room. Next is adding heat wraps tomorrow and then raising the temps 3 degrees F per day until 85F. I go on vacation next week so if they are not finished out, they will enjoy 85 for the better part of 2+ weeks. The American Farmhouse is still really cool to watch. No krausen (like the Saison II) just fizing and bubbles....and darker brown.....really kind of evil looking.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:45 AM   #25
TimmyR

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Still at 75 now. Added heat and raised to 77. Secured lids but left hole loosely covered. When I put air locks in, the lids slightly bulged out and I did not think a sudden change in head pressure was best. The airlocks were bubbling like crazy. WLP566 still has thick creamy krausen. Today marks 3 days after pitch.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:14 AM   #26
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2954 Times on 1874 Posts
Likes Given: 2492

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyR View Post
I want to put a window unit through my wall into the small, unfinished section of my basement and set it to 55. Then I could probably ferment and store there all the time. My chest freezer was free and is usually empty, but I've been brewing more and need kegs to be ready for a family reunion next week.

This is the first time in forever that I have fermented with minimal to no temp control. I"ve tried it with WLP530 on a Belgian Pale and a Tripel...basement was holding 68'ish then. Now its around 73F in my basement so I figured Saison might work. So far so good.
My chest freezer was busy with lagers, so I made a 10g saison last week and just left them on the back patio (covered). They are fermenting away at about 85F.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:32 AM   #27
TimmyR

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Heater bumped to 80F. Now going at 1 deg F per day for 5 days a d will check gravities

Old 07-21-2012, 02:20 AM   #28
TimmyR

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Temp bumped to 83F today (1 deg F per day since I started)

Saison II 1.004, American Farmhouse 1.002...both are delicious. I am hooked on both strains. I see an American-hopped Tripel in my future with Saison II.

C'est Bon!

Old 07-21-2012, 08:54 PM   #29
matteroftaste
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

for all who are worried about open fermentation, i do this with all my brews (covered with a cloth to keep out bugs and debris), and only secondary after krausen has fallen back completely (3to8 days) never had an issue (30+ batches). open fermentation is totally normal in my house, as it was when homebrewing was big in here in England thirty odd years ago...
watching the krausen turn into a martian meringue landscape is awesome in an open bucket too.

please forgive any colloquialisms....

Old 07-21-2012, 09:07 PM   #30
TimmyR

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteroftaste
for all who are worried about open fermentation, i do this with all my brews (covered with a cloth to keep out bugs and debris), and only secondary after krausen has fallen back completely (3to8 days) never had an issue (30+ batches). open fermentation is totally normal in my house, as it was when homebrewing was big in here in England thirty odd years ago...
watching the krausen turn into a martian meringue landscape is awesome in an open bucket too.
Finally some support! I love watching the krausen. I'm low on buckets so my next batch will be in a better bottle. So far my Saison is delicious.

Quick Reply