The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Oops! Fermenters frozen solid

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2011, 03:48 PM   #1
Patirck
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Oops! Fermenters frozen solid

I brewed a batch of vienna is brown ale with wyeast 1338 last wednesday and sunday I made a batch of hefewizen. I ferment in a chest freezer with a ranco controller. I discovered that my ranco wireing had come loose and it took me a day or two to get it done. In the mean time I was plugging in the freezer for 20 minutes a few times a day (this worked better than I thought). I finnally got the ranco fixed and plugged it in Sunday night and all was well. Monday morning I went to check on it and I didn't realize that the ranco was set for 30*! I was cold crashing last time I used it. Both fermenters (glass carboy for vienna ale and ale pail for weizenbock) were frozen - the vienna was solid ice and the weizenbock still slushed around a bit but the blow off tube jar of sanitiezed water was frozen solid with the tube in it.

Are these two batches of beer going to make it? The vienna has finished the big part of it's fermentation and there was very little activity when it was frozen but the weizenbock got maybe a few hours at temps in the 60s before it started freezing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2011, 03:55 PM   #2
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

Check the gravity for the Vienna. It sounds like that might be done, but most likely you'll have to re-pitch the Weizenbock.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply