Oops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkiNuke

Reaction score
So I just realized I made a mistake with my APA. It looks like I didn't adjust the temp controller between my last lager and my APA. I racked it this morning to a secondary so I could cold crash and free up a fermenter for the batch I just finished brewing, and when I went to go adjust the controller for my Calirfornia Common, I noticed it was at 40 degrees!!

I currently have my APA in my kegerator cold crashing, but I am wondering if I should leave it out for a few days or a week before I continue. The weird thing is that it appears to have fermented to completion, its at about 1.014 unadjusted. I used Wyeast American Ale II as my yeast and I know I underpitched because I tossed in the slap pack without a starter.

What does this mean and what should I do? Has anyone tried fermenting ale yeast at lager temps before?

As Herman Cain would say: "Homebrewtalkers! I choose you!"

i'd let it warm up to room temp for a few days just to make sure its finished. how long was it in primary at 40*?

For it to have attenuated that far, it must have been keeping itself warm.

But I second letting it warm up for a week.

It was at 40* F for 2 weeks. Should I be leaving it out for a week, or is 3-4 days fine?

It'll probly take a while for the yeast to wake back up but check the gravity at 3 days and then check at 4 if they're the same you're probly done.

Back