New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Ommegang (WLP410?) issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2012, 01:49 PM   #1
pabloj13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Default Ommegang (WLP410?) issues

Harvested some yeast from the bottom of 2 750mL bottles of Ommegang. Stepped up the starters over the course of ~10 days. Had a nice thick layer of yeast. Starter tasted good (although it never fermented dry). Brewed a Hennepin clone.

8# Pilsener
3# 2 row
2# Corn sugar (last 15 minutes)

Mashed at 154 for 70'
OG 1.066

Took a while for the beer to take off at 74. Aerated by shaking very well for 5 minutes and pouring into the carboy from a good height. I had steady airlock activity after ~6 hours but it took almost 60 hours to show any real krausen. At peak krausen had a nice healthy looking 3 inch krausen. Not as robust as some people say, but I wasn't too worried. After about a week the krausen fell almost completely. Temp had risen to ~78 during fermentation. I just check the gravity this morning, just to see, and it is only at 1.050. Should I just keep rousing the fermenter? I know some people have said 410 is a slow starter, but does it ferment out slowly too? I know yeast color doesn't mean too much, but some of the videos I have seen online have 410 as really white, this stuff is a darker tan color but the yeast layer is probably 3 inches thick now. I am going to leave it, obviously, but just wanted to see if there is anything I can do to help it along.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2012, 02:33 PM   #2
Nateo
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Rouse, rouse, rouse, rouse. Blow off some of the CO2, get the yeast back in suspension, and they should finish the job.

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Old 03-19-2012, 02:50 PM   #3
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 10

If the yeast has flocc'd out already rousing isn't going to do much. When they decide they're done, they're done.

Some things to consider. Some yeasts do not produce much krausen, however Belgian strains tend to produce ample krausen with the exception of WYeast 3711.

Are you sure you read your hydrometer correctly? I find it hard to believe that even a under pitched pack of dry bread yeast wouldn't have taken the gravity further than 16 points down. There is a chance that something else was going on during your peak krausen and you pitched a very low viability culture of yeast. Keep an eye on it for a few days to see if activity spurs back up.

If all else fails call in the destroyer wyeast3711. Make a small starter using some of your underattenuated wort and pitch at 12-18hrs straight back into the beer. If that doesn't do the trick there's always brett.

Also where'd you hear WLP410 is Ommegang? I've used WLP410 in the past and I'm pitching it tomorrow or wedneday into a wit I have souring with lacto currently. I have not had an issue with it picking up and going and or finishing.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:06 PM   #4
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2644 Times on 1702 Posts
Likes Given: 2152

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinghole View Post
If all else fails call in the destroyer wyeast3711.
haha, ain't that the truth.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:46 PM   #5
pabloj13
Recipes 

Quote:
If the yeast has flocc'd out already rousing isn't going to do much. When they decide they're done, they're done.

Some things to consider. Some yeasts do not produce much krausen, however Belgian strains tend to produce ample krausen with the exception of WYeast 3711.

Are you sure you read your hydrometer correctly? I find it hard to believe that even a under pitched pack of dry bread yeast wouldn't have taken the gravity further than 16 points down. There is a chance that something else was going on during your peak krausen and you pitched a very low viability culture of yeast. Keep an eye on it for a few days to see if activity spurs back up.

If all else fails call in the destroyer wyeast3711. Make a small starter using some of your underattenuated wort and pitch at 12-18hrs straight back into the beer. If that doesn't do the trick there's always brett.

Also where'd you hear WLP410 is Ommegang? I've used WLP410 in the past and I'm pitching it tomorrow or wedneday into a wit I have souring with lacto currently. I have not had an issue with it picking up and going and or finishing.
The Mr. Malty strain chart lists 410 as Ommegang. I am sure about my hydrometer reading. It was degassed and at RT and I have been checking several other brews at various times and getting normal readings recently. It is still very sweet too. My starter went from ~1/4" of yeast on the bottom of a 2L flask to well over 1/2" in 18 hours. I would be surprised if it wasn't viable, but I guess anything is possible. I did find another blog where they used Ommegang dregs and got a much more violent fermentation than I got.

Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 03-19-2012, 06:11 PM   #6
smokinghole

Recipes 

That's just weird. I can't offer much other help with out being able to look at it with a microscope and maybe some testing media.

If you absolutely want it destroyed in a few days there's always 3711. I just tossed some in a saison with dupont yeast that is taking longer than it should. It's been fermenting for three weeks and this point and hanging around 1.010. I want it down around 1.003 for blending with my other half. I just hope I don't come home to a mess because there's almost no head space.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:16 PM   #7
pabloj13
Recipes 

Quote:
That's just weird. I can't offer much other help with out being able to look at it with a microscope and maybe some testing media.

If you absolutely want it destroyed in a few days there's always 3711. I just tossed some in a saison with dupont yeast that is taking longer than it should. It's been fermenting for three weeks and this point and hanging around 1.010. I want it down around 1.003 for blending with my other half. I just hope I don't come home to a mess because there's almost no head space.
Do you think it's worth it? It's pretty estery (obviously it is young). I wonder if it can be saved. I roused it pretty well this morning so we'll see what it's doing this evening.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:24 PM   #8
smokinghole

Recipes 

If you can easily get 3711 I'd say it's worth it. I keep it on hand all the time. I just regrow the culture from time to time, I never use it as a primary yeast though. I just use it for its finishing and drying capabilities on stubborn saisons. Your other option would be to add 3711 and a brett to get rid of some of that estery character. The brett will consume some of the excessive esters. Now sure how willing you are to play with brett at this point though.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:47 AM   #9
bwomp313
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Or maybe try getting some more dregs and making another small starter? Just a thought. I just pitched a starter I made of some Ommegang dregs into a Witte clone and she took off like nothing I've ever seen. Krausen out the ass.

I also agree that 3711, "the destroyer" is a good backup plan.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:08 AM   #10
pabloj13
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwomp313 View Post
Or maybe try getting some more dregs and making another small starter? Just a thought. I just pitched a starter I made of some Ommegang dregs into a Witte clone and she took off like nothing I've ever seen. Krausen out the ass.

I also agree that 3711, "the destroyer" is a good backup plan.
Wait. Drink more Hennepin AND potentially solve my problem. I like the way you think!

Quick Reply