Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > old yeast question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2009, 06:11 AM   #1
Gildog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default old yeast question

ok heres a simple question for you experts. i recently cleaned out my fidge and found that i have two yeast samples taken from previous batches of beer and applewine respectively.

to take both of them , i swirled the yeast cake at the bottom, let it settle a little and then poured off about 8 oz of the liquid into jars, i then added a little corn sugar and set them on top of the fridge for a while, i released the pressure every day untill they stopped hissing and then stashed them in the fridge.

what is the process to use them in a batch? can i even still use them?

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
Ernest Hemmingway.

"He was a wise man who invented beer."
Plato.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joos View Post
Beer fairies help me out all the time.They sprinkle the magic stay awake till you pitch the yeast dust,and everything works out great.It's those damn THC gnomes that say NO! You must pass out and F up your beer!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2009, 06:50 AM   #2
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

How old are they? Yeast will degrade over time. I would make another starter solution out of malt extract to check for vialbiity and see if they produce some healthier yeast in the process.

Gary

Old 10-27-2009, 06:59 AM   #3
Gildog
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

they are no older than 6 months tops

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
Ernest Hemmingway.

"He was a wise man who invented beer."
Plato.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joos View Post
Beer fairies help me out all the time.They sprinkle the magic stay awake till you pitch the yeast dust,and everything works out great.It's those damn THC gnomes that say NO! You must pass out and F up your beer!

Old 10-27-2009, 07:09 AM   #4
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Just make a starter with them. Use this link to determine what size starter to make for the beer you are brewing. http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Old 10-27-2009, 07:10 AM   #5
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gildog View Post
they are no older than 6 months tops
You should make a starter if you plan to use them. Don't schrimp on yeast.

Gary

Old 10-27-2009, 07:12 AM   #6
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gildog View Post
ok heres a simple question for you experts. i recently cleaned out my fidge and found that i have two yeast samples taken from previous batches of beer and applewine respectively.

to take both of them , i swirled the yeast cake at the bottom, let it settle a little and then poured off about 8 oz of the liquid into jars, i then added a little corn sugar and set them on top of the fridge for a while, i released the pressure every day untill they stopped hissing and then stashed them in the fridge.

what is the process to use them in a batch? can i even still use them?
although I would not have progressed as you did, if you got "hissing" your yeast appears to be viable.

Now, to what use depends on what yeast strain they are. Do you know? what did you brew with them to start with? I might suggest you build up a starter from them and pitch to a similar brew as you origially used them in. What do you think?

Quick Reply