New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Old yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2011, 02:59 PM   #1
152Sumo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Old yeast

I have two yeast 3711 smackpacks in my frig that are dated April 2010. I have already searched and I guess they are okay to use. What I didn't get from a search is to do a starter or not. Is it okay to just follow instructions, or do I open them up and make a starter?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2011, 03:01 PM   #2
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1197 Times on 790 Posts
Likes Given: 533

I would most definitely make a starter. There's still living yeast in there, but you really can't know how much or how healthy it is.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:09 PM   #3
0110x011
Recipes 

I'd definitely make a starter, but you might want to step it up. I'd do 500ml @ 1.020 to revitalize the yeast, rebuild their glycogen reserves, etc, and then go to the standard 2000ml @ 1.040. The lower gravity first step puts less osmotic stress on the yeast, which aren't in very good shape after sitting in that smack pack for that long.

Check out my blog: Small Batch Brewing, and/or follow me on twitter @SmallBatchBrew

And watch my show! www.NewBrewThursday.com

Primary:
Secondary: Sour Red, Saison Tarté Noire, Flemish Red A/B, Flemish Oud Pale, Sour Experiment A/B/C/D
Kegged: Summer Spiced Saison, Rakau Pale Ale, Saison d' Tablé, International IPA, Belgian Witbier
Bottled: OaksterDAMN Barleywine, Saison Noire, Royale with Cheese, Awkward Encounter Wild Ale

Old 02-28-2011, 03:32 PM   #4
wolverinebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 152Sumo View Post
I have two yeast 3711 smackpacks in my frig that are dated April 2010. I have already searched and I guess they are okay to use. What I didn't get from a search is to do a starter or not. Is it okay to just follow instructions, or do I open them up and make a starter?
You definately need a starter. Since you didn't say what size brew you were doing, I went in there and punched in 1.050 and a date of April 2010 it says you need 175 billion cells. Without a starter it says you would need 17.5 of those yeast packs without a starter. I guess that means from the 100 billion cells in that were in that pack, you are down to about 10 billion.
Even doing a starter, it says you would need 6 packs to get to the number of cells you need.
Mr. Malty is a handy tool to play around with.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:01 PM   #5
152Sumo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks everyone!! A starter it is. Can someone give me a good resource on making starters? I have read about it here and there, and understand the purpose, but I have never done it.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:08 PM   #6
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 467 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Depending on the brew, 1/4-1/2 cup DME in 1 quart water, boiled and then cooled to safe pitching temp works well. Usually make larger starters for bigger brews...

I would warm the smack packs as close to 70F, pop the nutrient pouch and let it swell... Once they puff up nicely you can put them into the starter. I would look at the reference on Wyeast's site for how long to let them swell... Really old yeast can need a healthy amount of time before they really puff up...

"Activator™ packages that are 4 months old or older may require additional time to swell after activation."

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

...the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

Quick Reply