Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Old Washed Yeast - worth trying?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2013, 04:46 PM   #1
imtrashed
Bushkill Creek Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Old Washed Yeast - worth trying?

I have an inch or two of washed Kolsch yeast in a 2 qt jar that was washed from a batch I brewed in April 2012. It was a lot of yeast, but it has been in in the fridge since then (over 18 months). Think it's worth trying to use in a starter and a batch of beer next weekend? Should I just buy some new yeast, make a starter and go with that?

Bottle conditioning / Ageing: Bourbon-Oaked Vanilla Porter
Consuming: Black IPA, Stone Vertical Epic 08.08.08 clone, EdWort's Apfelwein, English Barleywine, Sweet Mead, Punkin' Ale, Allagash Tripel clone, Pre-Prohibition Lager, Patersbier
Batches in 2011
Batches in 2012
Batches in 2013

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #2
ColoHox
Compulsive Hand Washer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 197

By using the old yeast in a starter, you will probably end up pitching a lot of dead or lysed cells, along with the new cells you have grown. I always default to using the healthiest yeast possible, when in doubt.

Bacteria are the only culture some people have.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:38 PM   #3
stpug
Recipes 

Liked 367 Times on 319 Posts
Likes Given: 171

I wouldn't use it as-is, however I would try to build back up a healthy colony. This could very well take a week or more though.

-Basically a teaspoon of the washed yeast from the "middle" layer into 200ml 1.025ish starter wort. Stir plate until it looks good (2-5 days).
-Add to 750ml 1.030ish starter wort (nutrients and oxygenated). Should be done in 24-48 hours.
-Crash cool for 1-2 days
-Decant all top water
-Pitch yeast into 1.6L 1.035ish starter wort (nutrients and oxygen would be good here too). Should be done in 24-36 hours.

Yeast is ready for a new batch (after a proper taste and smell test).

I did this with an antwerp ale yeast I had sitting in the fridge for about 12 months. Opened it up and it smelled a lot like braunschweiger (i.e. liverwurst); lysed yeast. I did the process above and after a good 7-10 days of building it back up it smelled and tasted like normal brewers yeast. I was getting very quick starters and good krausen too.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:55 PM   #4
imtrashed
Bushkill Creek Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpug View Post
I wouldn't use it as-is, however I would try to build back up a healthy colony. This could very well take a week or more though.

-Basically a teaspoon of the washed yeast from the "middle" layer into 200ml 1.025ish starter wort. Stir plate until it looks good (2-5 days).
-Add to 750ml 1.030ish starter wort (nutrients and oxygenated). Should be done in 24-48 hours.
-Crash cool for 1-2 days
-Decant all top water
-Pitch yeast into 1.6L 1.035ish starter wort (nutrients and oxygen would be good here too). Should be done in 24-36 hours.

Yeast is ready for a new batch (after a proper taste and smell test).

I did this with an antwerp ale yeast I had sitting in the fridge for about 12 months. Opened it up and it smelled a lot like braunschweiger (i.e. liverwurst); lysed yeast. I did the process above and after a good 7-10 days of building it back up it smelled and tasted like normal brewers yeast. I was getting very quick starters and good krausen too.
Thanks. This is kind of what I was thinking, but on the other hand, I'm now wondering if it's all worth it to save $7. Might just buy another vial/pack and get that into a starter. If it was some type of yeast that I couldn't currently get (Platinum or Private collection or something I harvested), then I might try to salvage it, but I think I might junk it and start fresh.

I moved and took a hiatus from brewing for a bit, so I have a bunch of jars with 12-18 month-old yeast. I'm thinking I should just start washing and saving all new stuff and toss what I have.
Bottle conditioning / Ageing: Bourbon-Oaked Vanilla Porter
Consuming: Black IPA, Stone Vertical Epic 08.08.08 clone, EdWort's Apfelwein, English Barleywine, Sweet Mead, Punkin' Ale, Allagash Tripel clone, Pre-Prohibition Lager, Patersbier
Batches in 2011
Batches in 2012
Batches in 2013

Old 11-08-2013, 06:11 PM   #5
wilserbrewer
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 571 Times on 466 Posts
Likes Given: 11

While it is certainly possible to build up a culture from yeast that is 1 1/2 years old, you will never really know how contaminated it might be. Might work fine, might not ??? Really up to you if the $7 is worth it?

Http://biabbags.webs.com/

Corona Mill Bucket System V. 2

Old 11-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #6
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 240 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
While it is certainly possible to build up a culture from yeast that is 1 1/2 years old, you will never really know how contaminated it might be. Might work fine, might not ??? Really up to you if the $7 is worth it?
this!
if you are going to plate it out and re-start from a single clean colony then maybe, but that's not worth the effort when you can buy it, and starting blind from some of the slurry... it's not worth the risk against $7 price tag for new culture, imo!

Old 11-08-2013, 07:00 PM   #7
stpug
Recipes 

Liked 367 Times on 319 Posts
Likes Given: 171

You guys are so boring (jokingly)

I'm always up for a challenge, but I can certainly understand the "risk" factor. There's no harm in going through the reviving process with the old yeast just to see how well it responds. I guess I find fun in a challenge.

I have planned a reviving event on some old scottish ale yeast that was harvest from a 9% ABV beer, poorly washed, reused on an amber, and then set in the fridge for a year or more. I'll just have to plan a low ABV cream ale with it or something in case things don't work out perfectly

Quick Reply