Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Old liquid yeast go sour?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
Horseshoot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default Old liquid yeast go sour?

Hello All,

On December 23 of last year, I made my usual American IPA. I call it Big Yellow Dog, in honor of my wonderful 110 pound Golden Retriever, Murphy. It is one I created on Beer Alchemy, and have made several times. It calls for one smack-pack of Wyeast 1272-American Ale II. I didn't notice, until brew day, of course, that my yeast was expired by 6 months. I figured, what the hell. After smacking, and shaking, the package began to expand, as usual.

When it came time to pitch (after an otherwise uneventful brew day... hitting all targets perfectly), I poured the yeast in (after the wort had cooled) and noticed a sour smell. Crap! I smelled the package, and it smelled like vinegar. Naturally I was worried. After 3 days, there was no airlock activity, nor any other signs of fermentation (it was in a 6 gallon carboy, for a five gallon batch, so I could see the wort.) I finally pitched a rehydrated package of Notty. Fermentation took off like crazy the next day.

Today (01-13-13) I racked over to secondary to dry hop. My FG was slightly lower than expected (FG of 1.012 vs expected FG of 1.017). But, OK. The smell was fine. When I tasted the sample, however, I felt I could taste a slight sourness. Not quite Belgian Pale Ale taste. Just faint. Could that be from the bad yeast? Anybody ever experience this?

I am going to dry hop 7 to 10 days, then keg it.

Thanks for your help.

Mike

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the mornings, that is the best they are going to feel all day.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 12:12 AM   #2
Horseshoot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 13

As it turns out... it was delicious! I kegged it, and took it (in my new kegerator) and it was a hit! They kicked the 5 gallon keg in about 2 hours. (Along with a keg of my American Wheat.)

Mike

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the mornings, that is the best they are going to feel all day.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply