Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > oktoberfest Ale -yeast options

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2009, 08:58 PM   #1
Redbeard5289
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default oktoberfest Ale -yeast options

Hey Guys and Gals,

I am looking for opinions as to what liquid yeast I should use for Oktoberfest Ale that I am brewing up Friday Night.

The recipe I am copying is a traditional lager style and calls for a Wyeast 2124 (Bohemian Lager) or a WLP830 (German Lager). But since I don't have lagering capabilities yet I decided to brew this oktoberfest as an ale.

So what Ale yeast would be a good match?
I do have some yeast wash of an American Ale (wyeast) and an Irish Ale (wyeast) sitting in my fridge that I can use or should I go with something different.

What do you all recommend or have tried with great results?

Thanks for the input, I truly appreciate it!
Redbeard5289

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2009, 09:01 PM   #2
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 11

The American Ale would be fine. Pitch a HUGE starter to try and reduce ester production as much as possible and ferment as cool as you can.

Kolsch yeast is very popular for quasi lagers because you can ferment it very cold and clean. I have done this with success.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:03 PM   #3
ThickHead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard5289 View Post
Hey Guys and Gals,

I am looking for opinions as to what liquid yeast I should use for Oktoberfest Ale that I am brewing up Friday Night.

The recipe I am copying is a traditional lager style and calls for a Wyeast 2124 (Bohemian Lager) or a WLP830 (German Lager). But since I don't have lagering capabilities yet I decided to brew this oktoberfest as an ale.

So what Ale yeast would be a good match?
I do have some yeast wash of an American Ale (wyeast) and an Irish Ale (wyeast) sitting in my fridge that I can use or should I go with something different.

What do you all recommend or have tried with great results?

Thanks for the input, I truly appreciate it!
Redbeard5289
If an Oktoberfest is the style you are looking to brew White Labs has a more specific yeast for the application than the WLP830. The WLP820 Oktoberfest/Marzen Lager Yeast might be an option as well. Whichever direction you go in, I would recommend making a starter.

http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/strains_wlp820.html

Old 09-30-2009, 09:06 PM   #4
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 438 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 531

WY1007 is always my first choice for puedo lagers, but the American ale will work pretty well, too. Remember, you still need to ferment as cool as possible and lager it when it's done for best results.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 09-30-2009, 09:10 PM   #5
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I am fermenting mine at 60 with ^^^that guy's yeast. We'll see how it turns out in a bit.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:13 PM   #6
Austin_
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I've used San Fran Lager (WLP810) several times for an Octoberfest with pretty good results. I ferment at about 62 when using it.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:24 PM   #7
Trencher
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

California Ale will ferment cooler and with less ester production than other ale yeasts. California Lager tolerates warmer temps than typical lager yeasts. Either is a good choice if you have moderate temp control capabilities and can keep your fermenter in the 56-64 dF range.

If you can't hit those temps I'd use a British Ale yeast as it will accentuate the malt more than the hops and shouldn't create the fruity flavors of an American Ale yeast. Regardless you need to make sure the fermentation temp is constant or you'll get lots of esters with any yeast.

Q: Why don't elephants like penguins?

A: They can't get the wrappers off.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:34 PM   #8
michael.berta
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

This style is REALLY hard to do well with any Ale yeast. i did this with Wyeast 2563 Kolsch at 60 degrees F in a temperature controlled environment. I pitched a 2L starter for 1.050 wort. My end result had lots of esters; way too many esters. It's been lagering for several months now and needs a bit more.

I did this with a lager strain last year and it was awesome. I just can't do this style justice with an Ale yeast.

I hate to be a negative nancy here but if you can't use a lager yeast at the correct temperature don't bother with this style....

Old 09-30-2009, 10:36 PM   #9
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Too late to mention S-05? I made my Oktobefest ale with it last year after a few other members here recommended it.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:43 AM   #10
ekranzusch
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

+1 on S-05

Quick Reply