Ok so here is my problem, please help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToddPacker69

Reaction score
I am brewing up an IPA batch today, but my house is heated by wood stove and it gets down to about 50 degrees each night. I know I am supposed to ferment at 65 for a few weeks, but what can I do if every room in my house gets below 60 degrees each night. Is this consistency bad? Should I just keep it down in the cellar where it is always cold, but consistent. Or upstairs where it is around 65 during the day, but then goes down to 50 at night?

Thanks!

I am brewing up an IPA batch today, but my house is heated by wood stove and it gets down to about 50 degrees each night. I know I am supposed to ferment at 65 for a few weeks, but what can I do if every room in my house gets below 60 degrees each night. Is this consistency bad? Should I just keep it down in the cellar where it is always cold, but consistent. Or upstairs where it is around 65 during the day, but then goes down to 50 at night?

Thanks!

I would do a rope tub fermentation chamber. The larger water volume won't be affected as much by temperature swings and a small aquarium heater will keep it from getting too cold. See Nordeast's blog about it here.

I would look for some sort of interior room in the house like a closet where the temp stays consistent, otherwise you can use a heating pad to wrap around the bucket and set it on a low temp that will keep the beer at the desired temp. The first week of active fermentation is the most important, once done the temp is less critical for the remainder of time in the primary

Just put it in the cellar. Remember that the temp of your fermenting beer can up to 10 degrees higher than the ambient room temp.

Back