Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Is it OK to do a Yeast starter 36 hours in advance?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2012, 08:40 PM   #1
TTodd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Is it OK to do a Yeast starter 36 hours in advance?

I was reading that a yeast starter should be made 18-24 hours in advance. I'm brewing on Saturday and will not have time tomorrow to do it. So I was hoping I could do the starter tonight and use it Saturday.

Will that cause any problems?

Another reason I want to do it tonight is that I just got it in the mail from Austin Homebrew. Even though I paid extra for the cold shipment - it is at room temperature right now. SO I figure rather than putting it back in the fridge and then taking it out again it would be best to do it now.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2012, 08:42 PM   #2
DrinkNoH2O
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

it's fine, go for it

Old 07-26-2012, 08:44 PM   #3
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

yes

Old 07-26-2012, 08:47 PM   #4
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 89

In your shoes, I'd make up that starter tonight. Then tomorrow night, before I go to bed, I'd put the starter in the fridge to cold crash it. Saturday, when you're ready to brew, take the starter out. When it's time to pitch, decant off most of the starter beer then pitch the slurry, and you'll be good to go!

Old 07-26-2012, 09:03 PM   #5
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I would also make the starter tonight, assuming you have a stir plate, let it finish then cold crash it Friday night until a couple of hours before its time to pitch. Then just decant as much of the spent starter, leaving a little behind to help make a slurry. Mix it all up to be pitched into the brew of the day.

I do this all the time with my starters. I've also been making two smaller starters of late (getting the cell count far easier than with a single huge starter). In those cases, I make the first starter Tuesday evening , cold crash it starting Wednesday evening. I then make the second starter after decanting Thursday and cold crash that one starting Friday evening. Check out the calculation tool on yeastcalc.com to get an ides of how you can do this.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 07-26-2012, 09:04 PM   #6
TTodd
Recipes 

One thing that I did forget to mention is that I will be using a stir plate (not sure that makes any difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratslinger View Post
When it's time to pitch, decant off most of the starter beer then pitch the slurry, and you'll be good to go!
Just curious - why would I do that? Is it because it was sitting around for a long time? I actually purchased some Bavarian Wheat DME to use for this. Just want to understand for future knowledge. Thanks!

Old 07-26-2012, 09:08 PM   #7
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Well, especially since you'll be using that stir plate, the starter beer is likely going to be a pretty oxidized mess of a beer. Granted, it's only going to be about 1-2L in 5 gallons, so it won't have much, if any, of an impact on your final product. But in general, the starter beer isn't really designed to taste much like your actual recipe, so if you have the time and opportunity to eliminate it from the equation, you might as well take it!

Old 07-26-2012, 09:09 PM   #8
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

You cold crash and decant before pitching the concentrated slurry so that you're pitching YEAST not however many litres of starter too. Adding spent starter is not something I would do. Basically you're adding low grade beer to something you really want. Again, not something I would do (or do do).

I do my best to leave less than 1/4" of spent starter on top of the yeast cake before turning it into a slurry.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 07-26-2012, 09:09 PM   #9
TTodd
Recipes 

OK - After submitting my last post - I saw the reply from Golddiggie explaining.

Thanks guys!

Old 07-26-2012, 09:13 PM   #10
TTodd
Recipes 

Got it. One further question - because I am actually brewing a 10 gallon batch - I purchased 2 of the Wyeast 3068 yeast packs. I planned on doing a 2 liter starter with that.

Would that be OK?

Or should I try to do one tonight let it spin and then try another one in the morning?

Thanks - I appreciate your time and insight.

Quick Reply