Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > OK... can't wait any longer....WL820...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2011, 04:22 PM   #1
bentonre
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default OK... can't wait any longer....WL820...

OK, I didn't want to be one of those people posting on fermentation not starting, but here I am.
I brewed an Oktoberfest 5g batch and pitched a single vial of WL-820 (I know, bad boy... no starter....)
Anyway, it was pitched in 75 degree wort and is in a 70 deg basement. I was planning to move to my chest freezer at 55F as soon as I saw fermentation.... well, it is 6 days later with zero signs of fermentation... Trying to remember what Revvy said and be patient. I havent taken a SG reading (I don't have an OG either.... I know... shame on me....). I am thinking of getting some dry lager yeast to put in today, but was wondering if WL820 could be going with no krausen, bubble formation at all? If so, almost a week at 70 F probably wasn't a good thing.... Should I pitch the dry yeast regardless and move to the 55F or shoudl I take a SG reading to see if I can confirm it has started (with no activity)? I am thinking just pitch the dry as that is the lowest risk of infection and I have had good luck on previous lagers with just pitching dry.....
Sorry for the rambling.... just looking for some thoughts....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2011, 04:36 PM   #2
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1270 Times on 845 Posts
Likes Given: 584

Lager yeasts don't always develop krausen, especially when under-pitched. Airlock bubbles...well, those don't mean much. Take a gravity reading. Otherwise, you've got no information to work with.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:51 PM   #3
BryceL
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts

I used this yeast for an Oktoberfest, pitched and fermented at 50. I used a 4L starter and it got going after 2 days and developed a decent amount of Krausen. Every brew is different thought so I would take a gravity reading. It might be hard to tell since you didn't check the OG, but I'm guessing you have a ball park OG in mind. If it is going then drop the temp, if not I might go with your idea of pitching some dry yeast in there.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:52 PM   #4
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentonre View Post
...pitched a single vial of WL-820 (I know, bad boy... no starter....)...(I don't have an OG either.... I know... shame on me....).
Nuff said.

2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

Old 06-24-2011, 05:53 PM   #5
bull8042
I like 'em shaved

Recipes 

Liked 446 Times on 444 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by osagedr View Post
Nuff said.
Yeah, +1. Temps and gravity readings are very important for a myriad of things, ESPECIALLY if you suspect a problem.

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis

Old 06-26-2011, 04:51 PM   #6
bentonre
Recipes 

Well, after almost 7 days, it started.... Didn't need to check gravity or repitch.... nice 1/2" krausen so moved it to my keezer/fermentation chamber.... man was that WL-820 slow.... I think I may go back to dry yeast.... I know the variety may not be as large, but it has always worked well... this first experience with liquid yeast has been nerve racking....

Old 06-26-2011, 04:55 PM   #7
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1270 Times on 845 Posts
Likes Given: 584

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentonre View Post
Well, after almost 7 days, it started.... Didn't need to check gravity or repitch.... nice 1/2" krausen so moved it to my keezer/fermentation chamber.... man was that WL-820 slow.... I think I may go back to dry yeast.... I know the variety may not be as large, but it has always worked well... this first experience with liquid yeast has been nerve racking....
Yup. If you're not going to take the time to do it right, dry yeast is easier.

Quick Reply