Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Oh no! DMS from priming??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2013, 10:56 PM   #1
johnnyjumpup
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default Oh no! DMS from priming??

Hello all.
I bottled a batch of American brown ale recently and it tasted fantastic at bottling. It was hoppy, dry, and surprisingly clean considering that it is an ale and that the ambient temp overshot 80F for a while in my fermentation closet for a few hours within the first 3 days of fermentation, I thought I might have ruined it right there. I primed it with some light DME, using a priming calculator, and bottled away.
Now, checking at one week (I know it's too early, but I was just curious to see how things were going) I was greeted by a nicely frothy beer reeking of butterscotch and tasting like candy. I know that much of the sweetness will pass as the DME is used up over the next couple weeks, but is there any chance that some of the DMS will go away? Is there any thing I can do about it? And finally, was this caused by the DME that I used for priming? As I said, at bottling there was no sign of off flavors (I tested about a cup of it) and no odor other than that of a great brown ale.

Many thanks, and cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 11:01 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4635 Times on 3366 Posts
Likes Given: 909

That's not DMS- it sounds like you're talking about diaceytl.

Diacetyl is cleaned up by the beer in primary, normally. It can be caused by stressed yeast, or by infection. After bottling, it tends to get worse and not better but you could try aging it and see if it improves.

In low amounts, diacetyl is more of a slick mouthfeel, or an oiliness on the teeth or tongue. My guess is that it was present at bottling, but not flavored like butterscotch and in a much less amount than it is now, and that's why you didn't taste it earlier.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:36 PM   #3
johnnyjumpup
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I see, thanks! What sort of infection tends to cause this?

Old 01-27-2013, 12:53 AM   #4
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 438 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 530

A pediococcus infection can produce diacetyl.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Quick Reply