Oh, Baby, It's A Wild Wort :: My attempt at yeast wrangling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had similar results with overcarbing on my wild beer. I had let mine sit for 9 months so when I bottled I put a little champagne yeast in and I figured that ate the leftover sugars+ the priming sugar. Out of 8 bottles 3 blew.

Hmm maybe next batch do another wild brew.

Did the rest gush at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

No, but every beer had massive head like it was overcarbed. Like needing two glasses no matter how carefully I poured. In a few weeks I am going to bottle up the second batch of this beer. I will see how this batch goes.

I guess you could add the champagne yeast, leave it for a week to eat up any residual sugars, then prime and bottle.

Ever considered trying to wrangle your own wild yeast? I tried and here's what happened.

http://brulosophy.com/2014/07/10/oh-baby-its-a-wild-wort/

Cheers!

Interesting. Thanks for the post and blog. I think the Dave Watson reply nailed the reason for the over carb. Dave said, "That’s pretty cool! My guess would be that you had a wild yeast in there that took it down to 1.010 quickly, but some other buggies kept on working, albeit at a much, much slower speed…".

I am in the process of isolating wild yeast from strawberries. However, instead of just fermenting with whatever grows in the culture, I am isolating pure cultures from the initial culture. What I got was 2 different yeasts. One grows fast on a plate (similar to Saccharomyces) the other very slow (similar to Brettanomyces). Still in the process of trying to determine exactly what they are but my guess is Sacc and Brett. You may have caught a similar culture and the Brett continued to chew through the unfermentables and your priming sugar. Perhaps next time you could try giving it a couple of months in a secondary.

Interesting. Thanks for the post and blog. I think the Dave Watson reply nailed the reason for the over carb. Dave said, "That’s pretty cool! My guess would be that you had a wild yeast in there that took it down to 1.010 quickly, but some other buggies kept on working, albeit at a much, much slower speed…".

I am in the process of isolating wild yeast from strawberries. However, instead of just fermenting with whatever grows in the culture, I am isolating pure cultures from the initial culture. What I got was 2 different yeasts. One grows fast on a plate (similar to Saccharomyces) the other very slow (similar to Brettanomyces). Still in the process of trying to determine exactly what they are but my guess is Sacc and Brett. You may have caught a similar culture and the Brett continued to chew through the unfermentables and your priming sugar. Perhaps next time you could try giving it a couple of months in a secondary.

Dude, that sounds ****ing rad!!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back