Off-Color Slurry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickle79

Reaction score
I just bottle an Irish Red and was looking to reuse the yeast from it. It's got a green color to it (I suspect from the hops pellets). The beer was in my primary for 21 days. Is the yeast good to use?

Thanks!

My advice is if it doesn't smell weird, it's probably good. Remember, once the yeast is washed, it should pretty much smell like nothing (maybe a tiny bit yeasty, but nothing else). If you didn't filter your hops out, it's probably hops, but just use common sense. $6 isn't worth ruining your next batch.

Thanks for the reply HalfPint. Should I use a hop bag or secondary ferment after a week to avoid the color?

Thanks for the reply HalfPint. Should I use a hop bag or secondary ferment after a week to avoid the color?

Well, if the color is from hop particles, yes, a hop bag would keep that out, but you're always going to have some amount of trub in your yeast cake after the primary fermentation. You can wash a secondary yeast cake, but since I don't secondary, I usually wash my primary yeast cake.

I never use hop bags btw.

Back