Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Odd Off-Flavor in Lager

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2012, 04:11 AM   #11
organicrust
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 2 Posts

For the rest, I have ramped the temperature to ~65F. It took about two days to get there and I started a little late (when the reading was 1.010).

I don't think it's chlorophenol because I use RO water strictly and Starsan to sanitize. I hope it isn't a wild yeast infection; Florida is especially bad in this regard. I read that starsan does a poor job at controlling yeast cells, so this is a possibility.

Right now, I really feel that it's the character of the hops clashing with the strong diacetyl present. My gravity sample today was a little more tolerable, so the rest is doing something. I'm not giving up on this beer yet.

Tomorrow, I'll probably boil up a small DME wort and pitch yeast siphoned from the bottom of the carboy into it. Once that's at a high krausen, I'll pitch it into the fermenter in hopes of scrubbing the rest of the diacetyl.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 04:20 AM   #12
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1074 Times on 782 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

I like that idea, when in doubt about yeast (off) flavors, throw active yeast at it. With any luck you can get them to consume some of it. If it is DMS, and Weirdboy has a point about it soundling like DMS is in there, nothing'll really consume that. I remember reading you boiled uncovered, so that's not it. How vigorous was the boil and what was your base malt (manufacturer and type)? Those could be two culprits in DMS, even if you did have an open kettle.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:57 PM   #13
ejf063
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

So...... How'd it turn out??????

Old 03-27-2013, 02:39 PM   #14
organicrust
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 2 Posts

Ultimately?

A little too fruity for a true lager and a little too bitter for a Kolsch, but I can't taste any weird off-flavors anymore.

I can't say that I'm a fan of S-23 and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Just bite the bullet and get a liquid lager yeast (or 34/70, which is good, I hear).

In the meantime, I've brewed three more lagers. With this experience, I now believe that what I was tasting was mostly sulfur from the yeast. It subsided in each lager with a 60F rest followed by lagering.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:28 PM   #15
ejf063
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I ask because Iam in the middle of my first lager. My d-rest took place 4 days after I pitched. I did that based on my gravity reading. It rested for like 72 hours. Its now in the laver phase -42* for the next 2 months, at least. Weird flavors with every gravity reading. My thought is that the off flavors are the liquid mexican lager yeast. Only time will tell...... nice work

Old 04-01-2013, 03:38 PM   #16
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1074 Times on 782 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Lagers can just taste/smell downright weird until they're done. Lagering will take care of a lot of those fermentations smells and flavors and clean up the beer. If you pitched enough yeast, fermented cool and did a d-rest, after lagering your beer should taste more like a finished lager.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #17
ejf063
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well, i am nervous about all of that: Did I pitch enough? Did it ferment long enough (4 days seems real short)? Did it d-rest long enough, or even too long? All I know know is that I cant change anything I have already done. I suppose the longer it lagers, the better chance that off flavors will go away. I know, I know, RDWHAHB!!!!! Problem is I cant have a home brew until June, at least....

Old 07-30-2013, 07:33 PM   #18
TrustyOlJohnson
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 97 Posts

Organicrust, my first two lagers were an Amber Bock clone with Saflager S-23 and a Schwarzbier German black lager wih 34/70 (bohall grain). Both cleaned up real nice and I had some of the same observations/concerns you had. When all was said and done, here was a flavor in the Amber Bock that it was determined at my LHBS shop as the S-23. It is so unpleasant to me, I'll never use S-23 again.

Quick Reply