The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Odd Off-Flavor in Lager

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2012, 02:54 AM   #1
organicrust
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 2 Posts

Default Odd Off-Flavor in Lager

So I am fermenting my first lager and I am concerned about an off-flavor that I have detected in my gravity samples. The two samples I withdrew were awful, to say the least.

Part of the flavor is cooked, buttered corn. I take that as diacetyl. (The beer is at a diacetyl rest right now).

The other component is a sharp chemical flavor. It kinda burns and is at the forefront of the flavor profile. It hits you the moment you take a sip.

I know that the diacetyl will probably be metabolized by the yeast, but the sharp chemical flavor bothers me. Could it possibly be my hop's flavor clashing with the diacetyl? It worries me that it could be a wild yeast infection producing phenols.

For what it's worth, I sanitize with Starsan and use RO water strictly.

edit: I am fermenting with Saflager S23 at 52 F. The OG was 1.050 and it's at 1.008 right now. It's been ramping in temperature for the past two days and is at 64 F right now.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 03:13 AM   #2
pdxal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Is it possible that the chemical flavor is sulfur? A lot of lager yeasts throw a lot of sulfur before cleaning it up, along with diacetyl, later in fermentation.
BTW, cooked corn can also be oxidation. A lot of pilsner malt has some of that flavor in the background, though, without there being a problem.
Plus, early samples often taste nothing like your beer finally does.
Relax and wait, and see what it turns out like. Be sure to give it time, and lager it well after fermentation has finished.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:13 AM   #3
jtejedor
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Cooked corn would be dms from boiling with the lid on or not vigorous and or long enough boil. Pretty sure the yeast won't absorb that. Not sure about the chemical flavor but lagers can be kind of weird if sampled early, the lagering phase helps a lot. Lager it for a while and at worst you night just have a batch of rolling rock.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:16 AM   #4
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1074 Times on 782 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Sounds like diacetyl and DMS is a very young beer. The d rest will take care of the former, the latter won't go away.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:27 AM   #5
organicrust
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 2 Posts

The only thing that I can think of that may have produced DMS is boiling for 60 minutes instead of 90.

I even used pale malt, boiled in an open pot and chilled below 80 within 15 minutes. I am puzzled if it is DMS.

I was thinking that the second off-flavor was sulfurous too. It's really sharp and unpleasant. I also sensed a similar smell coming out of my airlock during fermentation.

It was disappointing to taste such nasty gravity samples. The ales that I have fermented never tasted this weird even at an early stage. I guess that's just how lagers are.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:29 AM   #6
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1074 Times on 782 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Could it just be really intense diacetyl? Maybe just artificial butter and not buttered corn? It's so hard to say w/o tasting, and even then, the beer's so young. Honestly, let it ride, at least the young flavors will go away and if there's still issue you can troubleshoot.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:02 AM   #7
kenlock
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by organicrust View Post
The only thing that I can think of that may have produced DMS is boiling for 60 minutes instead of 90.

I even used pale malt, boiled in an open pot and chilled below 80 within 15 minutes. I am puzzled if it is DMS.

I was thinking that the second off-flavor was sulfurous too. It's really sharp and unpleasant. I also sensed a similar smell coming out of my airlock during fermentation.

It was disappointing to taste such nasty gravity samples. The ales that I have fermented never tasted this weird even at an early stage. I guess that's just how lagers are.
Sulfur is a normal byproduct of a lager yeast. This will disappear during the lagering process. It's not unusual for the fermenting room/chamber to be filled with this smell and high in the tasting sample.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:09 AM   #8
ghpeel
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Greetings from a fellow Gainesville resident.

Post your recipe and we can see if its the hop flavors clashing, but I doubt it. Could be DMS, diacytl, sulfur or all three. How old is the beer? Young lagers can be funky, but I wouldn't say chemical flavors are normal at all.

=============================================

Kegged: Dunkelweizen
Primary: American Pale Ale

Old 10-16-2012, 03:15 AM   #9
organicrust
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah, the diacetyl is reduced somewhat, but it still has a way to go.

I'm not sensing the chemical flavor as much--I feel that it may have been a volatile sulfur compound that is now being off-gased at the higher temperature rest.

I have no idea how to describe the flavor, but perhaps "chemical" is too harsh. It's kinda musky but sharp and it clashes awfully with the buttery diacetyl.

I am pretty sure that some of the flavor is my grain bill, which is 92.3% 2-row, 5% Munich and 2.6% Carapils. I think I can taste the Munich under the diacetyl.

Perhaps the sharp flavor is due to my hopping; I used Sterling exclusively, for about 30 IBU, mostly late additions. I definitely taste the Sterling character in there somewhere.

It's been about 2 days into the rest and it still tastes buttery. Should I try krausening it?

Old 10-16-2012, 03:19 AM   #10
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 424 Times on 345 Posts
Likes Given: 58

The "chemical" flavor sounds like potentially an infection, or maybe chlorophenol.

Cooked corn does really sound like DMS. It is the classic description of DMS, although other sulfur compounds can give you similar flavors.

What temp are you doing your rest at?

Quick Reply