The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Octesterfest!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2010, 03:50 PM   #1
tdoft
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Windsor Colorado
Posts: 136
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Octesterfest!

Brewed Biermuncher's Octoberfast about three weeks ago with no problems on brewday. Pitched S-04 and got good activity in a few hours. Unfortunately, we had a heatwave shortly thereafter and my usually realiably cool basement allowed ferment temp to get into the seventies. Kegged this last night and sample clearly was not right-apple esters bigtime. Soooooooo.....any advice going forward? Will the esters age out better at 68 degrees or 40? Or am I permanently stuck with apple cidery beer in which case any ideas of making it more appealing would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking cinnamon/clove/dryhop/anything!!!!!??????????? BTW finishing gravity was 1.010-should have been 1.014. Thanks!!!!!!!!

__________________
tdoft is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2010, 04:31 PM   #2
kwantam
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 81
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Aging it for a while at 68 will let the remaining suspended yeast clean up some of their own byproducts. If you drop the temp to 40 they're going to go dormant and do nothing.

__________________
kwantam is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2010, 04:34 PM   #3
ErieShores
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Buffalo, NY USA
Posts: 479
Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Default

That is exactly why I used US-05, fear of the ester...

__________________
ErieShores is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2010, 05:59 PM   #4
tdoft
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Windsor Colorado
Posts: 136
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Yeah, I did a deception cream stout with S-05 shortly after the Octfest which turned out great despite the same high temps. I agree that aging at 68 makes more sense. I just hope that my basement stays thatt cool....lately its clearly not something I can count on. Thanks all!

__________________
tdoft is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2010, 06:09 PM   #5
tenchu_11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nome,AK
Posts: 259
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default

dumb question what is exactly an Octoberfest..is it an ale or lager. What would be the closest beer to it..I have unfortunately never tried Octoberfest.

__________________
tenchu_11 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2010, 06:44 PM   #6
BrookdaleBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 831
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenchu_11 View Post
dumb question what is exactly an Octoberfest..is it an ale or lager. What would be the closest beer to it..I have unfortunately never tried Octoberfest.
Think of a malty lager with a toasted grain flavor.
__________________
BrookdaleBrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2010, 08:35 PM   #7
tdoft
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Windsor Colorado
Posts: 136
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default octoberfest

Yeah, I think it is typically a malt forward lager. However, in this case Biermuncher tries (and in his case) suceeds in replicating the style with a lowish attenuation ale yeast S-04. Thus, the beer in question in this post is an ale. Look under the amber hybrid category in the recipes section for more info.

__________________
tdoft is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2010, 09:47 PM   #8
bierhaus15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: , New York
Posts: 1,510
Liked 71 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdoft View Post
Brewed Biermuncher's Octoberfast about three weeks ago with no problems on brewday. Pitched S-04 and got good activity in a few hours. Unfortunately, we had a heatwave shortly thereafter and my usually realiably cool basement allowed ferment temp to get into the seventies. Kegged this last night and sample clearly was not right-apple esters bigtime. Soooooooo.....any advice going forward? Will the esters age out better at 68 degrees or 40? Or am I permanently stuck with apple cidery beer in which case any ideas of making it more appealing would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking cinnamon/clove/dryhop/anything!!!!!??????????? BTW finishing gravity was 1.010-should have been 1.014. Thanks!!!!!!!!
Yeah, sorry to hear that man but your stuck with what ya got now. Foremost, I don't know why anyone would willingly would use s04 for a oktoberfest (yeah, even if its fermented cool) and secondly, s-04 just plain sucks. Better yeasts out there no matter what style your brewing. I'd probably dump the beer and make a note to never use s-04 again. Or make a fresh batch of oktoberfest with a better yeast choice.
__________________
bierhaus15 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2010, 10:14 PM   #9
RavenChief
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Dover
Posts: 108
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdoft View Post
Brewed Biermuncher's Octoberfast about three weeks ago with no problems on brewday. Pitched S-04 and got good activity in a few hours. Unfortunately, we had a heatwave shortly thereafter and my usually realiably cool basement allowed ferment temp to get into the seventies. Kegged this last night and sample clearly was not right-apple esters bigtime. Soooooooo.....any advice going forward? Will the esters age out better at 68 degrees or 40? Or am I permanently stuck with apple cidery beer in which case any ideas of making it more appealing would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking cinnamon/clove/dryhop/anything!!!!!??????????? BTW finishing gravity was 1.010-should have been 1.014. Thanks!!!!!!!!
I would wait a month at 68 degrees and then see what it tasts like. Or better yet, send it to me and I will conduct a thorough scientific evaluation of all the esoteric qualities of your beer. I love Octoberfest!
__________________
RavenChief is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2010, 11:43 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 60,044
Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bierhaus15 View Post
Yeah, sorry to hear that man but your stuck with what ya got now. Foremost, I don't know why anyone would willingly would use s04 for a oktoberfest (yeah, even if its fermented cool) and secondly, s-04 just plain sucks. Better yeasts out there no matter what style your brewing. I'd probably dump the beer and make a note to never use s-04 again. Or make a fresh batch of oktoberfest with a better yeast choice.
Really? I didn't know that S04 was such a poor yeast strain. I use it all the time. My beer must suck.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools