The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Oberon Yeast Harvesting – Multiple Bottle Dregs?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2013, 12:46 AM   #21
davekippen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 416

Hmm, the Red I brewed last with the Bells yeast did finish a little high, 1017. I was expecting a little closer to 1011 or so. Looking through my notes though, the brew before this one with the Bells yeast was the TH clone. It finished at 1012 which was lower than I thought. SO, that is not helpful at all LOL

Hit me on Untappd https://untappd.com/user/davekippen

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2013, 04:35 AM   #22
whisker-rodeo
Recipes 

if you can find it bell's smitten has a ton of sludge at the bottom of the bottle awesome for a yeast harvest

Old 04-28-2013, 06:42 PM   #23
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Thanks for all the info everyone, I hope this helps out some others who are planning on using the Bell's yeast.

Solbes, thanks for the OG/FG data, good to know that all of those brews had apparent attenuation in the 80s (89 for the RIS ).

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 04-28-2013, 06:45 PM   #24
kpr121
Recipes 

So I went ahead and kegged the Bell's version yesterday. There was one problem.... I forgot that I had used up all my Centennial hops during the boil, and didnt have any to dry hop with. So I jumped on Farmhouse Brewing Supply's website and order another lb of pellets (along with a few others that I'd been running low on ---- $75 later ).

So hopefully I'll be able to dry hop that keg by end of week. I did end up with an extra half gallon which I put in a growler and dry hopped with 1 oz of Simcoe, just for the hell of it.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:

Old 04-29-2013, 05:46 PM   #25
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Mmm, bet the Simcoe dry hopped would be good too. I'm trying so damn hard not to crack my first Furious bottle that had 3-4 oz of Simcoe in the boil/dry hop.

Hope your 2 Hearted turns out great. I've made 4 or 5 different IPA's and the 2H is always my favorite.

Primary #1: Surly Bender clone #2:Berry Rhubarb Wine
Secondary #1
: Empty #2: Empty #3: Empty #4: Sparkling Elderflower Wine
Kegged: Dark Side Dunkel, Irish Red
Bottles
: Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Belgian Golden Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Apfelwein, Russian Imperial Stout, Barolo Wine
On Deck: Spruced Warmer, CDA

Old 04-30-2013, 01:47 AM   #26
kpr121
Recipes 

Yea I'm thinking that Simcoe growler isnt going to last very long!

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:

Old 06-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #27
HopRodGR
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I might be stating the obvious here, but after asking one of the Bell's brewers this winter what beer would be best for yeast harvesting, he said that freshness is far more important that which beer you choose. I used a 6 pack of Oberon purchased on opening day (March 25th) that was bottled 14 days prior based on the label. I had a pitchable quantity of slurry on my second step (1st = 1L @ 1.020, 2nd = 2L @ 1.040), and it only took 6 days to get there. I'm now a big believer that "Oberon Day" might be the best day to get your hands on bottles for culturing, unless you have a proven source where you can get really fresh bottles.

I echo the sentiment on the performance, it's a really solid American Ale strain. Pretty versatile depending on what fermentation temp is used. If the beers I brew with it this summer turn out well, I might make it my house strain over 1056/WLP001/US-05.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:44 PM   #28
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I like it from the fact that I buy Bells every couple of months anyway. I get 2-4 beers run off in series from a single dreg starter. Pretty much pays for the sixer.

Also agree that fresh beer helps get the starter up and moving quicker. I've used different Bells brews for dregs with no difference detected (Best Brown, Oberon, Porter, 2H).

Primary #1: Surly Bender clone #2:Berry Rhubarb Wine
Secondary #1
: Empty #2: Empty #3: Empty #4: Sparkling Elderflower Wine
Kegged: Dark Side Dunkel, Irish Red
Bottles
: Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Belgian Golden Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Apfelwein, Russian Imperial Stout, Barolo Wine
On Deck: Spruced Warmer, CDA

Old 06-07-2013, 02:42 PM   #29
kpr121
Recipes 

Just want to update and say that I’ve just now tapped the keg of Bells THA clone, and it tastes great! I don’t get any off flavors at all, in fact I think the beer is almost a little too clean. It has that slightly sweet taste and mouthfeel like TH, but there’s something lacking in the finish. Maybe I should add more Centennial dry hops since it has been close to 6 weeks since I kegged it….

The Simcoe growler was polished off quickly a few weekends ago, and it was absolutely delicious.

Update: Crap, I just re-read my post #24 that said I ran out of Centennial dry hops at keg-time…. I’m now questioning whether I even added dry hops at all to this keg. I’ll have to check it when I get home tonight. Eh, I might as well throw a couple ounces of hops in either way since I think it could use more!

I gotta get back into the brewing game, starting to lose my 6th ‘beer’ sense.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:

Old 07-09-2013, 05:41 PM   #30
Dolomieu
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpr121 View Post
Just want to update and say that I’ve just now tapped the keg of Bells THA clone, and it tastes great! I don’t get any off flavors at all, in fact I think the beer is almost a little too clean. It has that slightly sweet taste and mouthfeel like TH, but there’s something lacking in the finish. Maybe I should add more Centennial dry hops since it has been close to 6 weeks since I kegged it….

The Simcoe growler was polished off quickly a few weekends ago, and it was absolutely delicious.

Update: Crap, I just re-read my post #24 that said I ran out of Centennial dry hops at keg-time…. I’m now questioning whether I even added dry hops at all to this keg. I’ll have to check it when I get home tonight. Eh, I might as well throw a couple ounces of hops in either way since I think it could use more!

I gotta get back into the brewing game, starting to lose my 6th ‘beer’ sense.
That's just plan funny right there. At least you have a "brew log" here.

I harvested bell's yeast for the first time this year as well. I really like that yeast. Did an oberon clone that called for a decoction and it came out amazing close and the keg kicked really fast for not having any parties or special events. You got me wanting to do a TH clone now....Thanks!

Draft beer, Not me!!! - Belching Penguin

kpr121 Likes This 

Quick Reply