Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Oberon Yeast Harvesting – Multiple Bottle Dregs?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2013, 01:26 AM   #11
davekippen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 417

HA, I messaged him too! Looks like he will be getting the hookup

Hit me on Untappd https://untappd.com/user/davekippen

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2013, 02:26 AM   #12
LLBeanJ
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 110

Thanks guys!

Old 04-26-2013, 12:34 AM   #13
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 67

FG was 1.016 which is a little high (WLP029 that I used on the second 5 gallons got down to 1.011).

But I think the Bells tastes wayyyy better than the kolsch yeast, at least at this time. It has that little bit of residual sweetness that I love about THA. No off flavors that I can detect yet, no phenols, diacetyl, etc. I think with a good dry hop and carbonation over the next couple weeks this is going to turn out fine.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 04-26-2013, 12:46 AM   #14
davekippen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 417

I like the Bells yeast too. you are right, a little sweeter but still clean, but seems like it leaves a little fuller mouthfeel. Maybe its my imagination. Who knows.

Hit me on Untappd https://untappd.com/user/davekippen

Old 04-26-2013, 02:31 PM   #15
kpr121
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
I like the Bells yeast too. you are right, a little sweeter but still clean, but seems like it leaves a little fuller mouthfeel. Maybe its my imagination. Who knows.
Reading through the Two Hearted clone thread, a lot of people share our beliefs.

I threw the two hydro samples in the fridge to cool down a bit for another tasting last night. They were both in white solo cups and I forgot which was which. But I could easily distinguish from smell and taste which was Bells and which was WLP029. The Bells actually reminds me of THA, and the kolcsh yeast just smells and tastes like a regular IPA – good, but not cloned. Maybe it was the attenuation levels, but either way the Bells is more like THA than WLP029. I recall I had similar results on a previous batch of Bells vs. US05.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:

Old 04-26-2013, 02:39 PM   #16
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 145 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Great work, now keep that Bells yeast around for other brews. In addition to the standard APA and IPA's, I've used it for porters, stouts, RIS (12%!), Irish Reds, and an ESB. I've liked it in all of 'em. You can get quite a bit of fruity esters by fermenting in the upper 60's to 70. Or very clean by fermenting around 62/63. Its has a high alcohol tolerance. And clears readily with a cold crash or racking to secondary.

Primary #1:Spruced Winter Warmer #2: Black Currant Wine
Secondary #1
:Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty
Kegged
: Cascadian Dark Ale
Bottles
: Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: Orange Pale Ale IV, Hidden Lake Nut Brown, 2H IPA III

Old 04-26-2013, 03:36 PM   #17
kpr121
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by solbes View Post
Great work, now keep that Bells yeast around for other brews. In addition to the standard APA and IPA's, I've used it for porters, stouts, RIS (12%!), Irish Reds, and an ESB. I've liked it in all of 'em. You can get quite a bit of fruity esters by fermenting in the upper 60's to 70. Or very clean by fermenting around 62/63. Its has a high alcohol tolerance. And clears readily with a cold crash or racking to secondary.
I am definitely going to be using this yeast for some other styles.

Have you noticed any similar lower attenuation in your beers? What was the OG/FG of that RIS?

Im thinking that my 1.016 may have been from the underpitching and the lack of a proper step-up, and that if I threw half this cake at exactly the same wort it would munch down a few more points.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:

Old 04-26-2013, 05:27 PM   #18
Gunslinger711
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Subscribed to this thread, I'm thinking about mostly killing off an oberon mini keg, then popping it open and pitching it into a Pale Ale kit I'm picking up. Thoughts?

Planning: Rye Pale Ale

Old 04-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #19
kpr121
Recipes 

Sounds like a good idea, but I would advise you to go with a starter. Even though those 5L mini kegs equal 14 bottles of beer, I doubt there is the same amount of yeast in there as 14 individual beers.

On top of that, I wouldn’t direct pitch dregs from 14 bottles of beer into a 5 gallon batch either if given the chance. Even though my starter didn’t get to high krausen before pitching, I believe there was some activity going on that during those two days that at least ‘woke up’ the yeasties before being introduced to the 5 gallons of wort. And I had yeast dregs from 20 bottles of Oberon (~50% more yeast than from 14 bottles).

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:

Old 04-26-2013, 07:29 PM   #20
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 145 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpr121 View Post
I am definitely going to be using this yeast for some other styles.

Have you noticed any similar lower attenuation in your beers? What was the OG/FG of that RIS?
OG of RIS was 1.102. FG was all the way down to 1.011. It initially finished aroudn 1.029, but I pitched a strong active starter and it dropped considerably in secondary.

My hydrometer reads a little low if I remember right, so you could adjust these up 2 points. I always pitch plenty of yeast (usually do 2-3 successive brews), aerate by shaking only, and give 1/2 tsp of WYeast yeast nutrient.

Irish Red, OG, 1.050, FG 1.010
Porter, OG 1.050, FG 1.008
APA, OG 1.043, FG 1.007
IPA, OG 1.061, FG 1.010
ESB, OG 1.054, FG 1.009
Primary #1:Spruced Winter Warmer #2: Black Currant Wine
Secondary #1
:Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty
Kegged
: Cascadian Dark Ale
Bottles
: Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: Orange Pale Ale IV, Hidden Lake Nut Brown, 2H IPA III
kpr121 Likes This 

Quick Reply