Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > now which starter was my trapist

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2010, 07:55 PM   #1
freebd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default now which starter was my trapist

I harvested yeast from two bottle of store bought beer the other night. one was a Chimay Blue and the other was a Rogue John John (Dead guy ale Aged in Dead guy Whiskey Barrels). so I went ahead and made a starter out of each one and set them aside in my spare room.one smalll detail though, I didn't label which was which...GGRRRR!!! One started Fermenting in about 8 hours and the other never took off tell I put a heater in the room over 36 hours later and boosted the temp to about 70 F. So it was my first assumption that the one that took off right away would be the pacman and the slower one was the Trapist. Speeed forward a few days to today when i decided to add more fresh wort to each one...I poored a little of each in a glass to taste them... and wow... I was wrong in thinking which was which. The one I had thought was the pacman was really the Trapist and it tasted amazing...I never knew just plain light golden DME wort could tast so wonderful... I can't wait to make my first Belgium soon!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2010, 08:10 PM   #2
bknifefight
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Nevermind. I didnt read the entire thread.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:31 PM   #3
craigd
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think rogue filters the Dead guy so that would have been my guess for the slow start.

-Craig

Old 02-06-2010, 03:06 AM   #4
freebd
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigd View Post
I think rogue filters the Dead guy so that would have been my guess for the slow start.
The Rogue John John Ale has a very think layer of sludge on the bottom that I would assume is yeast.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:05 PM   #5
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 13 Posts

My guess is that the one that didn't take off right away is the chimey. I've cultured that one before and it takes forever!

That is if your John John actually had yeast. if it didn't then I don't know.

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Quick Reply